Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/04 11:12:25 UTC

Phoenix 4.1alpha (preview release)

Folks,

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-11-04/

Enjoy.  It has the application classloader changes in it.  Very useful for container-in-container
& first wished for a year ago I think.  No promises yet on the final date for 4.1

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Phoenix 4.1alpha (preview release)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:41, Danny Angus wrote:
> Cool, ta, I will play, this is down for James 3 so I can wait a wee while
> for a release.

What time frame are you looking at for James3? I am actually working on a
bunch of stuff at the moment relating to this sort of thing. Basically it is
a combination of metadata, container extentions (interceptors) and tools.

> Ultimately I'm planning to mirror the .war system of distribution for
> servlet apps, whereby even mailet-app configuration is restricted to its
> own file.

kool!

Thats one of the things I am enabling at the moment. Basically a way of
defining "Reusable Units" (think librarys like cornerstone.jar but with a lot
more about metadata) and "Deployable Units" (think .wars, .sars, etc).

Anyways if you are doing this stuff in the near future I will try to get it
cleaned up and check it in somewhere.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."

Re: Phoenix 4.1alpha (preview release)

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Danny,

>Cool, ta, I will play, this is down for James 3 so I can wait a wee while for a release.

:-)

>BTW the mailet dependance on Avalon will be going soon, we're planning to move it up into the MailetContext and hide it from Mailets, so removing a bunch of Avalon and James classes would be nice too.

:-((

Avalon-Framework is designed for hosted components.  You know my
feelings on this...

>The longer term game-plan is to remove all of the standard mailets into a seperate sub-project, where they would be available to help kick-start anyone else's development of a mailet container.

+1

>Ultimately I'm planning to mirror the .war system of distribution for servlet apps, whereby even mailet-app configuration is restricted to its own file.

You really should look at EOB.  It has a .eob mechanism for hosted comps
as applications.

>Changes intended to encourage 3rd party mailet developers to build re-distributable apps.

Which can still happen with a dependance on Avalon-Framework...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Cool, ta, I will play, this is down for James 3 so I can wait a wee while for a release.

BTW the mailet dependance on Avalon will be going soon, we're planning to move it up into the MailetContext and hide it from Mailets, so removing a bunch of Avalon and James classes would be nice too.

The longer term game-plan is to remove all of the standard mailets into a seperate sub-project, where they would be available to help kick-start anyone else's development of a mailet container.

Ultimately I'm planning to mirror the .war system of distribution for servlet apps, whereby even mailet-app configuration is restricted to its own file.

Changes intended to encourage 3rd party mailet developers to build re-distributable apps.

d.