Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sitapati <si...@worldsankirtan.net> on 2010/04/28 04:49:25 UTC

Spamassassin rewriting headers of messages that are not marked Spam

My spamassassin installation suddenly (since March) starting rewriting the
headers of messages that are not spam.

Here's an example:

DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS,FH_DATE_PAST_20XX,HTML_MESSAGE,URG_BIZ autolearn=no
version=3.2.5

subject: [SPAM] RE: Advice

It's SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) running on RHEL 5.5. Anyone have any
ideas on what it might be or what to look for?

Re: Spamassassin rewriting headers of messages that are not marked Spam

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> This is the entire content of my local.cf:
>
> required_hits 5
> report_safe 0
> rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]

I don't think that's the best configuration either. You should start
with a default local.cf, then. You might also try enabling some
debugging to trace the loading of plugin-ins and rules. If you're
using amavisd you should be able to do something like this:

amavisd -c /etc/amavisd.conf debug-sa foreground 2>&1 | tee
/var/log/amavisd.tmplog

You can then view /var/log/amavisd.tmplog from the top to see exactly
what it is doing. Amavis will also be live, listening for incoming
mail, so you can trace it in real-time.

If you're not using amavisd, (and even if you are, actually), you can
run the following to produce similar output:

spamassassin -D config --lint 2>&1 | tee /var/log/spamassassin.tmplog

HTH,
Alex

Re: Spamassassin rewriting headers of messages that are not marked Spam

Posted by Arthur Dent <mi...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 23:53 -0700, Sitapati wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Alex!
>

> Alex-325 wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> My spamassassin installation suddenly (since March) starting rewriting
> >> the
> >> headers of messages that are not spam.
> >
> > March isn't so suddenly. Why is it a problem now and not last month?
> >
> I'm tolerant. However, my tolerance has limits, and I've reached them.
>
> Alex-325 wrote:
> >
> > Are you sure it is your system that is rewriting the headers? Is it
> > happening on every email?
> >
> It's happening on 90%, and I'm not able to discern the pattern of the other
> 10%. Yes I'm sure it's my system, because the header shows xspam-prev-header
> without [SPAM] in it. That means that spamassassin admits that it changed
> the header and added [SPAM] to it.
>
> Alex-325 wrote:

> >> DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS,FH_DATE_PAST_20XX,HTML_MESSAGE,URG_BIZ autolearn=no
> >
> > That says that it isn't spam, so it doesn't seem likely that your
> > system would be rewriting the subject header to say that it's spam.
> >
> It seems that my system shouldn't be doing it,  but it is, which is the
> problem.
>
> Alex-325 wrote:
> >
> > What setting do you have in local.cf for reporting? Check these
> > variables:
> >
> > report_safe
> > clear_report_template
> > report
> > add_header all
> >
> This is the entire content of my local.cf:
>
> required_hits 5
> report_safe 0
> rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]

Just to be sure it *is* your SA installation that's writing this, try
changing that (temporarily) to something like:

rewrite_header Subject [SPAM Test]

and see if it really is your SA doing the re-write. Don't forget to
restart spamd.

Re: Spamassassin rewriting headers of messages that are not marked Spam

Posted by Sitapati <si...@worldsankirtan.net>.
Thanks for your reply Alex!

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> My spamassassin installation suddenly (since March) starting rewriting the
> headers of messages that are not spam.

March isn't so suddenly. Why is it a problem now and not last month?
Are you sure it is your system that is rewriting the headers? Is it
happening on every email?

> DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS,FH_DATE_PAST_20XX,HTML_MESSAGE,URG_BIZ autolearn=no

That says that it isn't spam, so it doesn't seem likely that your
system would be rewriting the subject header to say that it's spam.
What setting do you have in local.cf for reporting? Check these
variables:

report_safe
clear_report_template
report
add_header all

> It's SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) running on RHEL 5.5. Anyone have any
> ideas on what it might be or what to look for?

You should also verify the method by which the regular updates are
being applied, as the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX could be a sign of an
outstanding bug in the default v3.2.5 72_active.cf file.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Spamassassin rewriting headers of messages that are not marked Spam

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Sitapati wrote:

> My spamassassin installation suddenly (since March) starting rewriting the
> headers of messages that are not spam.
>
> Here's an example:

> DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS,FH_DATE_PAST_20XX,HTML_MESSAGE,URG_BIZ autolearn=no
> version=3.2.5

Not that this will fix your header-rewriting problem, but if you're seeing
FH_DATE_PAST_20XX hits you _really_ ought to run sa-update and get your
rules updated.

   Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history,
   nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the
   United States is in now.                          -- Arnold Toynbee
  13 days since a sunspot last seen - EPA blames CO2 emissions