Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Vivek Kapadekar <vk...@bitfone.com> on 2003/06/11 23:44:59 UTC

Duplicate Triggering of custom appender.

Hi
I have written my own simple appender ( this is the first time I am
writing an appender). I attach the appender to the Logger using
addAppender(). In my client class I log six messages, but what the
appenders append() method gets triggered 12 times.  I thought it might
be due to the hierarchy , and the duplicate perhaps was made by the
rootLogger, but i have set the additivity flag to false, still I get
duplicate hits to my appender.
Can anybody shed light on this?

Thanks

--Vivek

Re: Duplicate Triggering of custom appender.

Posted by Vivek Kapadekar <vk...@bitfone.com>.
Hi
Below is the appender code. As you see there is not a lot of
implementation details in the appender. The append() method gets
triggered twice the number of times I log messages...

public class SOAPAppender extends AppenderSkeleton implements
org.apache.log4j.Appender {
  /**
    * A static Object that maintains message batch
    */
   private static ArrayList messages = new ArrayList();

  public static int hits = 0;

  public SOAPAppender() {
    super();
  }

  public void append(LoggingEvent parm1) {
    Object obj = parm1.getMessage();
    LogMessageBase logObj = null;
    System.out.println(" Appender Triggered ");
     hits++;
    synchronized ( messages ) {
        if ( messages.size() == 20 ) {
          messages.add(obj);
          System.out.println("Now make a soap call: with message list
size : "  + messages.size()
                            + " and clear the List of messages");
          messages.clear();
        }
        else {
          messages.add(obj);
        }
      }
   System.out.println(" This was the " + hits + " hit. ");
    /**@todo Implement this org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton abstract
method*/
  }
  public boolean requiresLayout() {
  return true;
  }
  public void close() {
    /**@todo Implement this org.apache.log4j.Appender abstract method*/
  }

}

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 15:05, Yoav Shapira wrote:

    Howdy,
    It would be easier (for me at least ;)) to diagnose your problem if you post
    the source code to your appender...

    Yoav Shapira

    --- Vivek Kapadekar <vk...@bitfone.com> wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have written my own simple appender ( this is the first time I am
    > writing an appender). I attach the appender to the Logger using
    > addAppender(). In my client class I log six messages, but what the
    > appenders append() method gets triggered 12 times.  I thought it might
    > be due to the hierarchy , and the duplicate perhaps was made by the
    > rootLogger, but i have set the additivity flag to false, still I get
    > duplicate hits to my appender.
    > Can anybody shed light on this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --Vivek

    =====
    Yoav Shapira
    yoavs@computer.org

Re: Duplicate Triggering of custom appender.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@yahoo.com>.
Howdy,
It would be easier (for me at least ;)) to diagnose your problem if you post
the source code to your appender...

Yoav Shapira

--- Vivek Kapadekar <vk...@bitfone.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have written my own simple appender ( this is the first time I am
> writing an appender). I attach the appender to the Logger using
> addAppender(). In my client class I log six messages, but what the
> appenders append() method gets triggered 12 times.  I thought it might
> be due to the hierarchy , and the duplicate perhaps was made by the
> rootLogger, but i have set the additivity flag to false, still I get
> duplicate hits to my appender.
> Can anybody shed light on this?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Vivek