Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jochen Mader <pf...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/06 18:48:22 UTC

Sigil OSGi install

Wasn't sure if this is the right place to post but I try it anyway.
So I got Sigil checked out and compiled (man, that's some serious compiling
going on there).
Got it integrated in eclipse.
Now I have to set an "OSGi install" and I am not sure what that is supposed
to mean.
I pointed it to a target dir and to a fresh download of Equinox and Felix
without success.

thx

Jochen

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Posted by Jochen Mader <pf...@gmail.com>.
Great, that did it :)
Thanks a lot.

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hmmm "this is not the repository you're looking for" :) This looks
like a previous incantation of OBR from back in the day when felix was
in fact oscar?

I'd expect the repo file to look something like:

<repository lastmodified='...' name='...'>
  <resource id='...' presentationname='...' symbolicname='...'
uri='...' version='...'>
</repository>

But actually it contains:

<bundles>
 <bundle>
  <bundle-name>...</bundle-name>
  <bundle-version>...</bundle-version>
 </bundle>
</bundles>

I guess I should add a check to the add/edit repo dialog to give the
user feedback in case of error (FELIX-1948). In the mean time I think
this is the repository you're looking for?

http://www.knopflerfish.org/repo/bindex.xml

I've tested this here and it worked as expected, but please let me
know if this doesn't fix it for you.

Regards,

Dave

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hi Jochen,

Ah ok so this is the clunky UI for repositories :( FELIX-1649
basically you first define the global set of repositories for the
workspace then define the order that those repositories should be
queried.

If you add the knopflerfish repository to the "default" set and apply
the preferences then the dependencies should now be visible via the
project dependencies page and also via quick fix in the editor.

Hopefully that will resolve your issue?

Regards,

Dave

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hi Jochen,

Hmmm, sorry should have said "cancel" and "don't ask this again" but
this is there in the previous code you checked out - I've just
disabled the dialog in the latest svn update.

The eclipse dependencies take /forever/ to download, I haven't found a
good way of using mirrors for eclipse yet :( Though once cached the
build should be seconds not minutes for a "ant clean site"?

This is symptomatic of this particular build setup vs sigil builds in
general - we have this running for our product release building over
200 bundles with complex dependencies in a couple of minutes from
checkout. We've also found similar timescales on customer site
building over 600 bundles.

Though I've just thought of one scenario we found recently where the
build took a long time using the default ant packaged on mac osx snow
leapard which was consistently /very/ slow. This seemed to be a
mac/ant bug - downloading the latest ant from apache worked as
expected on mac. Not had time to chase down if this is a sigil problem
or an ant problem in general.

Regards,

Dave

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Re: Sigil OSGi install

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hi Jochen,

Sorry you've run into a "note to self" in terms of the "OSGi install"
I've just pushed a commit to svn that removes this check and raised
the following jira FELIX-1924 to track this. If you don't want to
rebuild you can just click "no" and "don't ask me again" and this will
go away.

This is a hangover from sigil when it was hosted at codecauldron and
was targetted at the newton framework. The "Newton Install" provided a
way to easily add the bundles related to the Newton framework to the
eclipse environment. Having ported this to Felix the "OSGi install"
really only needs to represent the osgi.core and osgi.cmpn bundles.

Interested on the "serious compiling" note in your mail? The initial
build takes a fair amount of time as it needs to download quite a lot
of eclipse dependencies - but subsequent builds take around 40 seconds
on my machine. Is this your experience? Or potentially you meant
something else?

Regards,

Dave