Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Talk Jesus <ch...@talkjesus.com> on 2014/03/28 16:33:31 UTC

New Initial Setup Questions (THANK YOU in advance)

One more shot.how's the below for a decent, initial CS setup?

Server #1
Purpose: CloudStack Control Panel Install (Management Server)
Qty: 1
VM Machine (one production, one backup/HA)
Cores: about 2-4
4GB RAM

Server #2
Purpose: HV (CPU + Memory + Storage)
Qty: 1 plus 1 for failover (HA)
Dual Hexacore CPUs
128GB RAM
12 x 2TB SAS (or 6x1TB SSD) RAID10

Server #3
Purpose: Backup (NAS)
Qty: 1
Dual Quad Core CPUs
16GB RAM
12 x 2TB SATA RAID10

Question: for server #2 (HV), the CPU example is 24 Cores total. So,
technically speaking I can offer a max of 6 VM's with 4 CPU cores allowanced
to each one, correct? Does CS allow "overselling" by any means on
CPU/Memory?

Am I missing anything from above initial hardware setup?

Anyone have any high availability (HA) setup recommendations for all 3
servers? I mean does CS have an HA config option within its own management
console or is HA something done manually outside the CS software, but within
the o/s on the nodes?

RE: New Initial Setup Questions (THANK YOU in advance)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 31.03.2014 22:45, Talk Jesus wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> One last question (most likely)...
>
> What difference would it between having a separate storage server as
> SANS or NAS (especially utilizing something like FreeNAS) for live vm
> storage + failover? At least in the instance of using CS for a cloud
> platform.

Not sure I follow 100%. As long as that thing can export NFS, it can be
anything, FreeNAS or just plain FreeBSD or CentOS etc.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

RE: New Initial Setup Questions (THANK YOU in advance)

Posted by Talk Jesus <ch...@talkjesus.com>.
Thank you.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Talk Jesus <ch...@talkjesus.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Talk Jesus <ch...@talkjesus.com>.
Thanks Lucian,

> Ideally you should have separate and redundant (bonded) links for management, secondary storage and Internet uplink (public).

Please explain. I'm thinking, a dedicated Cisco switch for the cloud, plus another for failover. What do you mean by redundant/bonded links for management?

> HA is not possible with local  storage

So local storage = drives for vm "storage" on same HV (cpu/memory box. I'm curious why HA is not possible on a HV using CPU/Memory/Storage? I've never heard that before for HA.

Thanks!

> One more shot.how's the below for a decent, initial CS setup?
>
> Server #1
> Purpose: CloudStack Control Panel Install (Management Server)
> Qty: 1
> VM Machine (one production, one backup/HA)
> Cores: about 2-4
> 4GB RAM

It's good; do note you can use both at the same time if you want, just put a load balancer in front of them.

> Server #2
> Purpose: HV (CPU + Memory + Storage)
> Qty: 1 plus 1 for failover (HA)
> Dual Hexacore CPUs
> 128GB RAM
> 12 x 2TB SAS (or 6x1TB SSD) RAID10

Played with both SAS and SSD recently, SSD is just so much snappier go for it if you can afford it.

> Server #3
> Purpose: Backup (NAS)
> Qty: 1
> Dual Quad Core CPUs
> 16GB RAM
> 12 x 2TB SATA RAID10
>

> Question: for server #2 (HV), the CPU example is 24 Cores total. So,
> technically speaking I can offer a max of 6 VM's with 4 CPU cores
> allowanced to each one, correct? Does CS allow "overselling" by any
> means on CPU/Memory?

You can oversell CPU massively, everyone does, disk and memory are usually the bottlenecks.
Overselling memory is trickier, if you want to sell VPS/public cloud I'd advise against it, memory is reasonably cheap.

> Am I missing anything from above initial hardware setup?

The network is a very important bit of the setup. Make sure you have quality equipment and redundancy, there's a saying: "your cloud is as good as your network".
Ideally you should have separate and redundant (bonded) links for management, secondary storage and Internet uplink (public).

> Anyone have any high availability (HA) setup recommendations for all 3
> servers? I mean does CS have an HA config option within its own
> management
> console or is HA something done manually outside the CS software, but
> within
> the o/s on the nodes?

Cloudstack can and will perform HA if so instructed, it's "built-in",
you don't need to configure anything special in the HV.
HA requires:
- service offerings with "HA" enabled
- shared storage for the above offerings, HA is not possible with local
storage

Good luck!

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: New Initial Setup Questions (THANK YOU in advance)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.