Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Adam Kocoloski <ad...@cloudant.com> on 2014/02/24 15:29:26 UTC

Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Apache CouchDB means a great deal to me, and to Cloudant as a company. Cloudant and CouchDB have grown alongside each other over the past several years in one of the more authentic vendor/community collaborations I can think of in Apache history. Today marks the next step in Cloudant’s growth as we enter into a definitive agreement to become part of IBM.

What does this mean for CouchDB? I would not have agreed to this transaction if I had any concerns about Cloudant’s ability to continue its contributions and collaboration with Apache CouchDB. IBM has a strong track record in open source software and a productive relationship with Apache; in fact, IBM was instrumental in bringing CouchDB to the ASF many years ago. IBM is fully supportive of our efforts here, and I’m looking forward to bringing increased resources to bear in support of the project.

CouchDB has the potential to shape the future of distributed data management and computing. 2013 was a year of tremendous progress, as we doubled our committer base and shipped no fewer than eight releases. Already in 2014 we’ve seen amazing progress on long-standing initiatives to enhance the core of the system. The timing is right — in the market and for the community — to take the next big step forward. With your help, that is exactly what we will do.

Truly, the future of CouchDB is CouchDB.

Adam Kocoloski
Co-Founder & CTO, Cloudant

Re: Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ad...@cloudant.com> wrote:
> Apache CouchDB means a great deal to me, and to Cloudant as a company. Cloudant and CouchDB have grown alongside each other over the past several years in one of the more authentic vendor/community collaborations I can think of in Apache history. Today marks the next step in Cloudant’s growth as we enter into a definitive agreement to become part of IBM.

Congrats! And thanks for clarifying what it means for your CouchDB efforts.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ad...@cloudant.com> wrote:
> Apache CouchDB means a great deal to me, and to Cloudant as a company. Cloudant and CouchDB have grown alongside each other over the past several years in one of the more authentic vendor/community collaborations I can think of in Apache history. Today marks the next step in Cloudant's growth as we enter into a definitive agreement to become part of IBM.
>
> What does this mean for CouchDB? I would not have agreed to this transaction if I had any concerns about Cloudant's ability to continue its contributions and collaboration with Apache CouchDB. IBM has a strong track record in open source software and a productive relationship with Apache; in fact, IBM was instrumental in bringing CouchDB to the ASF many years ago. IBM is fully supportive of our efforts here, and I'm looking forward to bringing increased resources to bear in support of the project.
>
> CouchDB has the potential to shape the future of distributed data management and computing. 2013 was a year of tremendous progress, as we doubled our committer base and shipped no fewer than eight releases. Already in 2014 we've seen amazing progress on long-standing initiatives to enhance the core of the system. The timing is right -- in the market and for the community -- to take the next big step forward. With your help, that is exactly what we will do.
>
> Truly, the future of CouchDB is CouchDB.
>
> Adam Kocoloski
> Co-Founder & CTO, Cloudant

Awesome news, congrats! The future sounds interesting :).

- benoit

Re: Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
That's pretty cool, I guess :)

Congratulations!

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the note, Adam, and congratulations.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
congratulations Adam and all at Cloudant and thanks for the great
contributions to CouchDB :)

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.