Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Costrell, Daniel N (Dan Costrell)" <da...@verizonbusiness.com> on 2007/05/15 19:09:40 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd not starting

I installed apache 2.2.4 on Tru64 5.1b. When I start it by entering
"./apachectl start", the return value (#?) is 0. However, running ps
shows that httpd is not running. Nothing is written to error_log, and no
error message appears on the console screen. Does anyone have any
suggestions for debugging the problem?

Dan Costrell

Re: [users@httpd] httpd not starting

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Costrell, Daniel N (Dan Costrell)
<da...@verizonbusiness.com> wrote:

> I installed apache 2.2.4 on Tru64 5.1b. When I start it by entering
> "./apachectl start", the return value (#?) is 0. However, running ps shows
> that httpd is not running. Nothing is written to error_log, and no error
> message appears on the console screen. Does anyone have any suggestions for
> debugging the problem?

Start by checking the "User" and "Group" directives in your http.conf,
and make sure they are set to a user and group that exists on your
system ("nobody" for both user and group would probably be allright).

One problem that often hits first time users, is that the default for
"group" is:
Group #-1
Which doesn't work on some Unix systems. When that happens the
symptoms are exactly as you describe.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland

Re: [users@httpd] httpd not starting

Posted by Hamilton Vera <ha...@i2.com.br>.
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html

[]'s

Hamilton Vera
int Administrator (char Network[],char ComputationalSystems[]);
http://antispam.br/
"Google is my shepherd, no want shall I know"