Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by tmarx <ma...@tapestryforums.com> on 2006/01/03 23:47:47 UTC

Application hangs / website stalls

I am using 4.0 beta 5, mysql connector 3.0.11, hivemind 1.1 beta 2 and jetty 5.1.2 and i am currently trying to debug some really weird behaviour, but I have not found the right break points yet.

After starting the web application I can navigate the site without any problems and click through all the internal links.

Once I wait for some minutes and continue to click on a link, the webite stalls and it is being loaded "forever"...it seems like it is caught up in a loop....but nothing else happens anymore. I have not found out where exactly it hangs, but it is after the page has been loaded.

The same also happens after I visited about 100 links without any break. I thought it could have something to do with sessions but i am not using the visit object yet.

However Jetty is still running....I can stop the loading process and go to a different link.

The last message on the server is also "Finished Page Load", nut on the browser nothing is shown...it still displays the previous page.

It is really hard to debug as there is neither an error nor a warning message....

Sent from www.TapestryForums.com

Read this topic online here: <<topic_link>>

http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12627#12627

RE: Application hangs / website stalls

Posted by tmarx <ma...@tapestryforums.com>.
Yes, I am sure. There is only one user connected, which is me testing it.
The max_connections is set to 100 or something.

Apart from that all database calls that are necessary to build the page are made.The page is also being assembled, but in the end the result is not printed out. Instead the browser waits for sever to finish the page...but it never finishes.

http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12641#12641

Re: Application hangs / website stalls

Posted by Greg Ward <gw...@python.net>.
On 03 January 2006, tmarx said:
> Once I wait for some minutes and continue to click on a link, the
> webite stalls and it is being loaded "forever"...it seems like it is
> caught up in a loop....but nothing else happens anymore. I have not
> found out where exactly it hangs, but it is after the page has been
> loaded.

I find thread dumps extremely useful for debugging this sort of
behaviour.  (Which, in my experience, is usually either an infinite loop
(oops, easy to fix) or a thread locking error (ouch, painful to fix).)

On Unix, you just need to find out 1) the process ID of your servlet
container and 2) where its stdout is going.  Then send it a QUIT signal:

  kill -QUIT <process-id>

(The Java runtime writes the thread dump to stdout, which is why you
need to know what your container does with stdout.  If you don't know
where its stdout is going, lsof is invaluable: just run "lsof -p
<process-id>" and look for file descriptor 1.)

No clue how it's done on Windows, if you are so afflicted.

        Greg

RE: Application hangs / website stalls

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.
	You sure you're not leaking jdbc connections? Try fiddling with the
max_connections parameter in you're my.cnf file and see if that changes the
entimology of the hang.

	--- Pat