Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ramkumar <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2011/07/08 13:25:50 UTC

Error when running "create temporary function"

Hi,

I have been creating and running hive UDFs without a problem for a few days (using the steps given in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HivePlugins).

All of a sudden, I get the following error when i try to create a
temporary function and I have no clue as to why this is happening now as it worked before.

hive> add jar /home/sugavar/lib/test.jar;

Added /home/sugavar/lib/test.jar to class path

Added resource: /home/sugavar/lib/test.jar

hive> CREATE TEMPORARY FUNCTION my_lower AS 'com.example.hive.udf.Lower';

OK

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:176) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:241) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:456) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:186)

The contents of the UDF is the same as the one given in the above link (i.e. a simple lowercase function).

Can anyone please suggest a solution?  (I also tried re-starting the hive server just in case, but it was not useful)

Thanks,
Ramkumar