Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2021/06/29 19:10:37 UTC

Upcoming fortress release

Howdy,

Soon will be releasing a new fortress based on ldap api 2.x.

My question, how to update the (new) website with the latest package info, docs, notes, etc?

If there’s already a doc or mail with this info I would appreciate a pointer.

As I recall, (hopefully) it’s just a matter of checking out one git repo, making changes to the associated project files (in markdown format) and pushing those changes.

Thanks

—
Shawn

Re: Upcoming fortress release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Jun 29, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> On 6/29/21 9:10 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
>> Soon will be releasing a new fortress based on ldap api 2.x.
>
> Nice!
>
>> My question, how to update the (new) website with the latest package info, docs, notes, etc?
>>
>> If there’s already a doc or mail with this info I would appreciate a pointer.
>>
>> As I recall, (hopefully) it’s just a matter of checking out one git repo, making changes to the associated project files (in markdown format) and pushing those changes.
>
> Correct, easy peasy lemon squeezy

Sweet

> Here is the git repo: https://github.com/apache/directory-site/
> Download and run Hugo (see the readme) so you can preview changes locally.
>
> There are many files and folders so it may be a bit overwhelming. For
> the LDAP API and Studio the files that need to be modified for a new
> release are documented, I hope those pointers help you for Fortress:
>
> https://directory.apache.org/api/developer-guide.html#update-the-web-site
>
> https://github.com/apache/directory-studio#website

I’ve downloaded the new directory site and have it running on a test machine (in Hugo), so over the first hurdle.

Now to use your example to craft a similar fortress guide.

Thanks for the boost Stefan!

—

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 7/15/21 10:18 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> A post-mortem on deploying to new website.
>
> One correction, I cloned with this:
>
> git clone  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-site.git
>
> Instead of using the GitHub url.  I suppose one could clone GitHub repo and add remote origin to gitbox.

I normally push to GitHub. That requires to link the GitHub and GitBox
accounts: https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Kind regards,
Stefan

Re: Upcoming fortress release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

> On Jun 29, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> Correct, easy peasy lemon squeezy
>
> Here is the git repo: https://github.com/apache/directory-site/
> Download and run Hugo (see the readme) so you can preview changes locally.
>
> There are many files and folders so it may be a bit overwhelming. For
> the LDAP API and Studio the files that need to be modified for a new
> release are documented, I hope those pointers help you for Fortress:
>
> https://directory.apache.org/api/developer-guide.html#update-the-web-site
>
> https://github.com/apache/directory-studio#website

A post-mortem on deploying to new website.

One correction, I cloned with this:

git clone  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-site.git

Instead of using the GitHub url.  I suppose one could clone GitHub repo and add remote origin to gitbox.

In any case, it’s MUCH better than it was.  Much simplified.  I’m well pleased.

Now, to apply some much needed improvements to the online doc, now that our website is so much easier to update.

—

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 6/29/21 9:10 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> Soon will be releasing a new fortress based on ldap api 2.x.

Nice!

> My question, how to update the (new) website with the latest package info, docs, notes, etc?
>
> If there’s already a doc or mail with this info I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> As I recall, (hopefully) it’s just a matter of checking out one git repo, making changes to the associated project files (in markdown format) and pushing those changes.

Correct, easy peasy lemon squeezy

Here is the git repo: https://github.com/apache/directory-site/
Download and run Hugo (see the readme) so you can preview changes locally.

There are many files and folders so it may be a bit overwhelming. For
the LDAP API and Studio the files that need to be modified for a new
release are documented, I hope those pointers help you for Fortress:

https://directory.apache.org/api/developer-guide.html#update-the-web-site

https://github.com/apache/directory-studio#website

Kind Regards,
Stefan