Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Don Gilbert <gi...@bio.indiana.edu> on 2006/12/29 05:58:47 UTC

Major Bioinformatics center adopts Lucene to help biologists search "everything"

from European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) http://www.ebi.ac.uk/
---------------------------------
Better, faster, easier
EMBL-EBI launches its new website with powerful search engine

Behind this new web interface lies the "EB-eye", a powerful
search engine allowing instant searches of all the
EBI's databases from a single query.

Crucially, navigating links between databases has become a lot easier;
genomes, genes, proteins, structures and biological functions can all
be explored through a single simple interface.

What is the EB-eye Search?
The system is developed on top of the Apache Lucene project framework,
which is an Open-source, high-performance, full-featured text search
engine library written entirely in Java. It uses this technology to
index EBI databases in various formats (e.g. flatfiles, XML dumps, OBO
format, etc.) and provides very fast access to the EBI's data
resources. The system allows the user to search globally across all
EBI databases or individually in selected resources by using an
Advance search.  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/inc/help/search_help.html

Re: Major Bioinformatics center adopts Lucene to help biologists search "everything"

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Do you think you could give me some details about your index size?
I am interested in number of documents in all indices, how indices are they
distributed (are they hosted on single machine or spread all over the
world), did you use any other specific technology (Compass or other
framework)...

Regards,
Lukas