Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com> on 2008/12/07 23:25:38 UTC

[T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

I've been working with tapestry 5 in eclipse for several months by now.
And i have built a "complex" hierarchy of projects to fullfil my needs :
2 tapestry 5 applications both using several tapestry 5 libraries. In
maven, my 2 applications depends of some of the libraries which in turn
depends on other libraries ... And to be able to declare in one maven
place a lot of common informations, all of my tapestry projects are
children
of a parent pom project.
A few days ago, i decided to deploy a jar of my project on a server for
testing purposes. So i run the maven command "mvn install" from my maven
parent project in order to rebuild all the tapestry 5 libraries and
applications and to get the war packaged.
But since this operation, everything goes wrong :
1. If i run my tap5 application from maven with "mvn jetty:run", the
application runs normally but i loose the tapestry reload possibilities.
2. If i run my tap5 application inside eclipse using the jetty launcher
i've been using for several months, the application don't find my
libraries anymore.

Any clue ?
Is my maven hierarchy eronous ?
What have the maven install command broken ?

Thanks for any help ... I've been looking for a solution for several
days in google, tap mailing list, docs and wiki ...

Wouldn't it be a precious information if a page would be dedicated to
maven in the tapestry documentation ? I think that i'm not the only
tapestry user without maven high skills ...

Stephane

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>.

> I think that i'm not the only
> tapestry user without maven high skills ...

If you're using the Tapestry binaries, there's no real reason you need to
use Maven if if gives you so much troubles.

When you lose days figuring out how to get your builds to work properly, it
might be a good reason to switch to a build-system you are more familiar
with. That's the first thing I did when I got started using Tapestry:
setting up a project-structure using ANT.

I don't know much about Maven and I've never had the motivation to learn,
since it is just a build-system and ANT already does everything I need to do
without the hassle.
The projects I have downloaded that do require Maven for building also don't
give me much motivation to use it. The first build usually takes up half an
hour to download all dependencies from all over the place and then usually
fail because one of the dependencies cannot be found.

regards,

Onno

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Sorry, forgot the link :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-245

Stephane

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>.
which JIRA is that?

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Stephane Decleire
<sd...@cariboo-networks.com> wrote:
> I have just found the solution :
> -Dtapestry.modules=com.cariboonetworks.mylib1.services.Lib1Module,com.cariboonetworks.mylib2.services.Lib2Module,
> ... in the VM parameters of the JettyLauncher configuration did the trick.
>
> So, after several days of development environment frustrations, it seems
> that i get my configuration back and ready to work ...
>
> And i'm sure, after the exchanges i had here and the searches i made on
> google that i'm not the only one who get frustrated with this. I think
> that it would be very negative for the tapestry framework if new
> developers fall in thoses traps even before seeing the great
> possibilities of tapestry and i think that a kind of tutorial or check
> list to get ready with the major developement environment (eclipse,
> netbeans, idea, ...) would be a very valuable tool for all the tapestry
> beginners and the others ...
>
> A JIRA request as already been filled 2 months ago for this and i think
> we should vote for it.
>
> Stephane
>
> Stephane Decleire a écrit :
>> Oups, no, it wasn't ...
>> Strange since i have checked this yesterday ...
>>
>> So, with "build automatically" checked, here is what i get :
>>
>> 1. If i launch my tapestry application in eclipse using "Debug as /
>> Maven Build ..." and start jetty:run", dependencies are correctly added
>> to the project but each change in a tml or java file restart the whole
>> jetty process ! It is not as long as tomcat but it is not what is
>> expected from tapestry reload feature ...
>>
>> 2. If i launch my tapestry application in the jetty launcher, the reload
>> process is ok, but i am faced with a dependency problem : in the pom
>> file of each of my libraries, i use a maven plugin like that :
>>
>> <plugin>
>>   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>   <artifactId>maven-jar-plugin</artifactId>
>>   <configuration>
>>     <archive>
>>       <manifestEntries>
>>
>> <Tapestry-Module-Classes>com.cariboonetworks.myproject.services.AppModule</Tapestry-Module-Classes>
>>       </manifestEntries>
>>     </archive>
>>   </configuration>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> so the AppModule classes of my libraries are no more "loaded" when my
>> app is launched with the JettyLauncher. Is there a way to tell those
>> manifest entries to the JettyLauncher ?
>>
>> Stephane
>>
>> Stephane Decleire a écrit :
>>
>>> Yes i do

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Thanks Thiago for the tip.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
2008/12/8 Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>

> So, after several days of development environment frustrations, it seems
> that i get my configuration back and ready to work ...
>

> A JIRA request as already been filled 2 months ago for this and i think
> we should vote for it.
>
> Stephane

Please vote.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-245

It is plain unacceptable for such a great framework not to have a decent
documentation on working environment!

Regards,
Borut

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Oups, no, it wasn't ...

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Yes i do

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
Not that I know of.  Some things are covered under the Deployment Notes
links from the Tapestry 5 main page.  There are some Wiki entries that talk
about different setups including:

http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5RunViaMain?highlight=(tapestry5)

http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5EclipseWTPWithMaven2?highlight=(tap
estry5)

http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5_Run_Jetty_From_IDEA?highlight=(tap
estry5)

There are some issues here:

http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5Caveats?highlight=(tapestry5)

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Thanks Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have a love-hate relationship with Maven and Eclipse plugins.

First off, I hope you've done a "mvn clean" at some point.

Second, if you upgraded from the old, rather limited m2eclipse plugin to the
latest and greatest, it will break the old JettyLauncher plugin.  Been
there, broke that.

The new Maven plugin for Eclipse is much smarter about setting the classpath
so that execution from the command line and within Eclipse behave the same
way.  Unfortunately, that means that the classes within the JettyLauncher
plugin vanish from the classpath.

Other than that, remember, it's not what you DON'T KNOW that really gets you
into trouble, it's what you KNOW that ISN"T TRUE.

Good luck.

Jonathan

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Are you using Sonatype's m2eclipse plugin?
(http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/) If not, I strongly recommend it.

If you have any issues with JettyLauncher not finding libraries, it's
because they're not correctly added to your project classpath.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Shttp://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: [T5] Tapestry + Maven make me crazy !!!

Posted by Martin Papy <ma...@liber-mundi.org>.
Hi Stephane,

I have build a web app -maybe not as complex as yours- but I got a similar
problem once... The solution I found is to force Eclipse to build all
projects inside the same directory completly outside all projects.

Exemple

Project Structure :

/Parent
  |_Module1
  |_Module2
  |_Module3
  |_WebApp

Then I build all build projects (I talk about the Eclipse builder NOT MAVEN)
to a new directory called 'Project_Bin' at the same level as /Parent

/Parent_Bin
/Parent
  |_Module1
  |_Module2
  |_Module3
  |_WebApp

I use the "Linked Resources" feature to do that. In Eclipse : Windows >
Proference > General > Workspace > Linked Resources

Doing this I was able to use RunJettyRun plugin without any problem and with
the reload possibilities.

Hope this might help you :)

Martin