Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2003/02/03 01:37:18 UTC

Re: "svn status" handling uncontrolled and non-existant files

Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> Yes.  I have just noticed and re-sent.
>
> I'm not used to mailing lists that don't munge Reply-to to point to
> the list.  My mail client, Mozilla, doesn't have a "Reply to mailing
> list" function, so I have to remember to use "Reply all" (do you want
> to receive a personal copy as well as the one to the list?) or change
> the "To" address manually.  Is there a policy on Reply-to?

Yes, the policy is not to munge it.  If you Google on "Reply-to
Munging Considered Harmful" you'll see why.  There are also documents
explaining the opposite point of view.  This list did not have perfect
agreement on the question, but the informal consensus was that more
people thought munging bad than good.

> I tried
> setting "Reply-to" to point back to the list in a message that I sent,
> because I don't want to receive two copies of each reply, but the list
> server removed it.  Some people (including you, Karl) specify a
> Reply-to which is a personal address different from the address you
> send from, and the list server removes that too.  That seems a bit
> sub-optimal.

Huh?  Our list server is supposed to not touch Reply-to.  If mine is
getting munged, how do you know that I set it? :-) Are you sure you
saw what you saw?

As for duplicates, your mail client might have an option to fold them
into one.

-K

Re: "svn status" handling uncontrolled and non-existant files

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> > I tried
> > setting "Reply-to" to point back to the list in a message that I sent,
> > because I don't want to receive two copies of each reply, but the list
> > server removed it.  Some people (including you, Karl) specify a
> > Reply-to which is a personal address different from the address you
> > send from, and the list server removes that too.  That seems a bit
> > sub-optimal.
>
> Huh?  Our list server is supposed to not touch Reply-to.  If mine is
> getting munged, how do you know that I set it? :-) Are you sure you
> saw what you saw?

Well, I'll be darned.  I just went back and looked at some posts from
me, and even though I explicitly set `Reply-to' to kfogel@collab.net
in every message I send, my posts here have no Reply-to header at all.
Apparently this is happening to others too.

Is our list software removing `Reply-to' entirely?  Our goal was to
simply leave it alone, not demolish it :-).

Daniel (Rall), do you by any chance know how to check what's happening
with the mailing list software on tigris.org?

Thanks,
-Karl