Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Geoff Peters <Ge...@logic.bm> on 2003/04/01 19:37:19 UTC

Slightly OT: SocketException with MySQL

I am using Tomcat 4.1.18, MySQL 3.23, newest driver, running on Linux 7.3. Problem is similar to others who have posted on this subject, just want some advice (can't seem to get a definite answer).

I'm not using connection pooling. If I walk away and leave the server running for several hours, I come back and cannot access the database via the servlet, the catalina.out file tells me "SQL Error: Communication link failure: java.net.SocketException". Happens whether or not I am running TOmcat remotely on or the same box as MySQL (i.e. not a network issue). I made sure all of my connection objects were close in the destroy() method of each servlet thinking all of the sockets were full, still didn't work. I just recently set autoReconnect = true in my server.xml realm tag - that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Should that work? Or, should I be closing the connection object IMMEDIATELY after each executeUpdate or executeQuery? Currently am opening a connection in the init() method, and killing in the destroy().

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Geoff