Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/07/21 16:11:57 UTC

Re: [build-test-infra] Build Test Infrastructure

On 21 July 2006 at 9:09, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> > I tried to use it. It is OK, but I have some comments on it. First of all,
> > let me describe as I see the testing process:
> >
> > - for developers:
> > Before the commit of new feature/ fix the developer should run some
> > 'pre-integration tests' (it may be unit tests) to be sure that workspace
> > will not broken by commit. If developer have more than 1 platform it will
> > nice to run these tests on different platforms.
> > It is a base testing infrastructure for any project and Harmony already has
> > it (for both - vm and api).
>
> That is the assumption, right?  Every developer should already be doing
> this.
>

> > Also, the "cruise control" systems on the target platforms over
> > 'pre-integration tests' will be very useful just to check that the current
> > workspace is OK (not all developers can check fixes on all target
> > platforms).
>
> Right
>

> > - for other community members (all peoples who want to help):
> > If somebody wants to help to run tests he should download only the binary
> > form of HDK, tests and script(s) to run it. Than he run all tests and
> > upload/ emails results back. Of cause, these scripts should require minimum
> > external tools (for example, 'ant' only).
> > It is may be one time action for this member or time-to-time (depends on
> > his
> > wishes).
> >
> > In this context seems a little bit discourteous to ask users to use the
> > cruise control, svn, c/c++ compilers etc to run Harmony tests. On other
> > side, for developers your system is a little bit excessive.
>
> I don't agree that it's so black and white.  There's a valid point in
> that some people might want to volunteer to run things, and that we can
> minimize the tooling requirements.  But that can be solved easily :
>
> 1) we produce a snapshot of buildtest/
> 2) we add another configuration that fetches an HDK and runs the tests
>
> (Actually, this is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing your patch!)
>
> Seriously, that's not a bad idea, and it would only require having ant
> and Java.  No need for SVN or other tools.

I was planning to jar up tests from modules just as I have with the test
support classes (in  build/test/support.jar) and I'd expect those to
remain in the hdk.

Adding an ant script to run the tests would not be trivial - due to the
api/impl/bootclasspath/etc issues - but should be possible.

-Mark.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> We already have a script for building the HDK and JRE.  The publishing
>> part should be fairly straightforward.  I imagine we'll have volunteers
>> that produce the designated nightly snapshots for a given platform so we
>> can get the widest variety of OS/chipset as possible.
>

> Could you commit these scripts to the 'buildtest' module?

I'll certainly take a look.

> I'm a volunteer to produce this snapshot for WinXP.

Ok - great.

geir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Geir Magnusson Jr < geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> That's what the buildtest subproject is for.  Have you looked at it?
>

> Yes. When I tried to run it for the first time I saw problems with <get>
> and
> <svn> commands - they did not work in my environment due to:
> - no proxy settings for <get> and <exec svn> command.
> - some problems with my certificate for apache site.

Ok - those all are local issues for you ;)  We should parametrize what
we can though for others.

> I propose to do the following:
> - specify in README.txt that if you work via proxy, then, specify in
> property file values for proxy host/port and checks proxy settings into
> your
> SVN configuration files.

Yep.

> - specify in README.txt that the certificate to work with apache site
> should be accepted.
>
> Does it make sense?

I see no such problems w/ the certificate.  Does your cacerts not have
the root cert for whatever our CA is?  (I forget what it is..)

> Issue 995 was created to support proxy settings for the 'get' target.

Thanks!

>> > 4.       Full testing - the whole set of Harmony tests are run on
>> regular
>> > builds, results are published.
>> > Goal: to see what happened with Harmony quality on the whole set of
>> > automated tests, see new bugs, see quality of Harmony runtimes.
>> > Users should be able to do this kind of testing on their specific
>> platforms
>> > and publish results on Harmony web site.
>> > ****This script (prototype) I implemented, see issue 984.
>>
>> I thought that the classlib tests are run as well w/ the CC script right
>> now, but will check.
>

> Yes, but I hope in the future we will have more test suites (functional,
> stress etc).
> Will we run all of them in code integrity testing? – I suppose no, once we
> see that running all tests takes more then hour.

I certainly want to hook them into the standard CI framework, and we
just choose what set gets run.  I have a new machine coming, and I'll
run anything and everything 24 hours a day.

geir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> The more I go further with build&testing infrastructure and think about it
> the more the following overall picture is drawing in my mind.
> Let me share it to see the whole picture and what I see should be next in
> build and testing infrastructure:
>
> Goal: Harmony quality
> Objectives:
>    - Set-up regular building & build publishing process

Yep

>    - Set-up testing process, which:
>        - Provides code integrity (Harmony can be built at each moment of
> time), regressions are seen immediately.

Yep.  We now have a "proprietary" one running at IBM, for which we are
grateful.  The buildtest subproject in Harmony is meant to replace this
at some point and we all will run it.

>        - Done by both at Harmony hosting site and by community members.
>        - Is easy to set-up and run.
>        - Results of testing on community member's platforms can be
> published.
>        - History of test failures, build quality can be tracked.

Yes

> Builds.
> Lets consider the following:
> 1.       Regular (daily, weekly?) building of JRE and HDK and tests.

daily snapshot

> Goal: being regularly published, one can just download and run / test them
> without need to download sources, tools and building Harmony themselves.
> What we need to be built and published? – I suppose we can start with:
>    - Harmony API + DRLVM
>    - Harmony API + J9
>    - Harmony API + JCHVM
>    - API unit tests

I would suggest :

  HDK (classlib + unit tests)
  JDK/JRE (classlib + DRLVM)

and once JCHEVM uses either the classlib or the glue layer is finished,
a JDK/JRE with that.

We won't create anything w/ J9 in it (as that's IBMs proprietary code)
and anyone who wishes to use it can take the HDK and drop J9 right in
very easily.

That said, I do think we still want people to be independently running
(as part fo the test loop) Classlib + J9 because testing with the broad
variety of VMs available to us will is useful.

> Do we want to provide capabilities for people to install "build tool" and
> have Harmony built regularly on their platforms? – I guess yes.

Yes - that is the point of the buildtest/ project.

> ****I can (and plan) do a simple ant script for building and archiving
> binaries (If no objection).

We already have a script for building the HDK and JRE.  The publishing
part should be fairly straightforward.  I imagine we'll have volunteers
that produce the designated nightly snapshots for a given platform so we
can get the widest variety of OS/chipset as possible.

> Once it is done, I can start publishing the binaries more or less regularly
> at some site and provide links at our wiki pages – is it worth doing?

We would put them in the snapshot directory that we use now.

  http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/harmony/snapshots/

> 2.       We establish continuous building to make sure we have consistent
> workspace. Cruise Control is OK for this purpose.
> What we build:
>    - Harmony API
>    - DRLVM
>    - JCHVM
>
> Do we want to provide capabilities for people to install and have "Cruise
> Control – based tool" running on their platforms? – I guess yes (correct me
> if I'm wrong), in case if somebody is interested in keeping Harmony
> buildable and runnable on his favorite platform (FreeBSD, for example).

That's what the buildtest subproject is for.  Have you looked at it?

> Testing.
> I would propose to consider the following levels of testing.
> 1.       Pre-integration testing – quickly executed set of tests to be run
> to make sure a patch does not worsen Harmony quality.
> Goal: for a community member or committer to check that the patch does not
> worsen Harmony quality.
>
> ****This is already discussed, agreed and implemented for both API and VM.
> Do we need something more to be done here?

I hope not.

> 2.       Code integrity testing – done by regular often building of Harmony
> components by Cruise Control.
> Goal: to make sure no "compilation errors" were introduced by recent
> commits, if introduced, then, notification along with list of recent
> commits
> is sent to all.
>
> ****This is what is done recently by Geir by Cruise Control script.

Yes, I am doing it, but the goal isn't to have only one person doing it.
 The goal of the buildtest/ subproject

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/harmony/enhanced/buildtest/trunk

is to help *anyone* that wants to help to easily checkout the system,
have it auto-setup as much as possible, and then just run.

What remains to be worked out is the email and notification aggregation,
so that we can have a "dashboard" or matrix of all the platforms being
tested, with their current status and history.  This is an important
thing to get done, and I'm hoping someone volunteers.

> 3.       Smoke testing – a number of tests should be run over received via
> Cruise Control build.
> Goal: to make sure no regressions were introduced by recent commits, the
> built runtime can do its basic operations.
> If regression is introduced, then, notification along with list of recent
> commits is sent to all.
> ****This is what is done recently by Geir in Cruise Control script.

Right

> 4.       Full testing - the whole set of Harmony tests are run on regular
> builds, results are published.
> Goal: to see what happened with Harmony quality on the whole set of
> automated tests, see new bugs, see quality of Harmony runtimes.
> Users should be able to do this kind of testing on their specific platforms
> and publish results on Harmony web site.
> ****This script (prototype) I implemented, see issue 984.

I thought that the classlib tests are run as well w/ the CC script right
now, but will check.

> 5.       Application testing – people enable applications, try already
> enabled applications on fresh builds, publish results.
> Goal: to see what happened with Harmony quality on various applications
> people like.
> We can start from having a wiki page (which partially exists in some form)
> on which community publishes results of running applications on various
> Harmony builds.
> ****Do we need here more?

Maybe eventually we'll want to automate.  We certainly want to get Gump
runs going too for this.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/29/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> That's not what the HDK is intended for.  (I was afraid of this when it
> was named...  I also ran into the same thing explaining it to people
> this week...
>
> The HDK is not analogous to the JDK - it's really an SDK to assist in
> the development of Harmony, where the JDK is an SDK for the development
> of Java programs.
>
> geir

Seems I was misleading by name. Of course, in this context tests should be a
part of HDK.

 thanks, Vladimir

Re: [build-test-infra] Build Test Infrastructure

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/06, Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 7/21/06, Mark Hindess < mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > I was planning to jar up tests from modules just as I have with the test
> > support classes (in  build/test/support.jar) and

I created issue 984 with simple patch that jars modules/<name>/bin/test
directories.
May be it makes sense to build 3 separate archives: HDK, JRE and tests to
minimize traffic for users who want to use HDK but do not want to run tests?
  thanks, Vladimir

  I'd expect those to

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.