Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@histio.org> on 2001/04/08 17:10:00 UTC

[C1] Issues with "Monitor" class

I recently developed an aggregating producer (that works with XSP) (see
cocoon-user).  The concept behind it is that there are sites that take
XML documents, combine them with standard infrastructure elements, and
then process them for the proper output device (HTML, WAP, etc.).  The
aggregating producer performs like a "make for xml" aggregating the
"static" documents into one document that can be cached.  The resulting
document is stored both in the cache and on disk.  The problem I
encountered is that the Monitor class is not serializable.  Does anyone
know why this is the case?

It seems to me that if the "Page" class and all the classes that it
holds on to were serializable the "Cache" class could be implemented in
a database.  I was thinking that "near" cache would be the standard
"Cache" and a  long term cache in a DB.

The Monitor class also only provides for watching URL and File objects.
It seems to me that either an abstract Monitor class or a Monitor
interface should be defined so that other objects could be watched.  For
example, the REMOTE_USER id might be used to ensure that only the owning
user can see documents indended for that user, or that the change could
be to an item in a database.

To solve these problems I ended up implementing my own "Watcher" class
as well as a "Transformer" class.

Are any of these issues addressed in C2?

--

email: claude@histio.org
Fax +1 801 601 3586