Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/23 20:26:05 UTC

droid build tooling

I've been involved in Droids for a while now, but not nearly enough to
understand some of the historical context in some areas of the project. I'm
sure I could piece it together from the mailing list, but I'd rather ask, as
the answer will be more relevant. I can see that there are now 3 distinct
build tools committed to SVN - Maven, Ivy and Ant. I'm also relatively
certain that nobody uses Ivy and Ant.
So the question is - should we start thinking about simplifying things to
cut down some of this complexity for 0.0.2, by removing either one or both
of these? Deleted code is debugged code and all that jazz.
Hopefully this proposal makes sense.
Eugen.

Re: droid build tooling

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 22:26 +0200, Eugen Paraschiv wrote:
> I've been involved in Droids for a while now, but not nearly enough to
> understand some of the historical context in some areas of the project.

Droids came a long way. ;) I first researched @labs and from there the
whole infrastructure is coming from. We started with ant+ivy but as soon
more people got interested in the code Oleg introduced maven. Since then
the ant+ivy stuf became more or less obsolete. We used ant as well to
start certain bots.

as Chapuis pointed out we agreed to switch to maven only after the
release.

salu2

> I'm
> sure I could piece it together from the mailing list, but I'd rather ask, as
> the answer will be more relevant. I can see that there are now 3 distinct
> build tools committed to SVN - Maven, Ivy and Ant. I'm also relatively
> certain that nobody uses Ivy and Ant.
> So the question is - should we start thinking about simplifying things to
> cut down some of this complexity for 0.0.2, by removing either one or both
> of these? Deleted code is debugged code and all that jazz.
> Hopefully this proposal makes sense.
> Eugen.

codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: droid build tooling

Posted by Chapuis Bertil <bc...@agimem.com>.
I can't help for the historical for the context but we discussed this issue
in DROIDS-107. The aim for 0.0.2 is to reorganize the modules and the
documentation and to only keep maven as a build system. I already did some
of these changes in branch/bchapuis and I'd love to merge them back in a
near future after approval.

--
Bertil Chapuis
Agimem Sàrl