Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@primary.net> on 2020/02/21 20:51:48 UTC

ASF@DevNexus wrapup

Hi, all;
    Just wanted to drop a quick line detailing the fun time that was
known as DevNexus (a very large java conference in Atlanta). The ASF was
invited to have a booth presence at the event by the organizing team
(hey there, Pratik and Vince!!)

https://twitter.com/TheASF/status/1230568406761590784

    Our booth was situated toward the end of the exhibit hall next to two
other Open Source foundations (OSI and Eclipse). It was adorned by a
lovely white table runner graciously ordered for us by Sally and staffed
by me and Steve Sanders (who some may know from ACNA). We had a mountain
of stickers (currency, as you know) to hand out... and barely made it
through half of them. Unfortunately, we didn't have project stickers
this go around, but we drummed up sufficient excitement for the two
flavors of 20th anniversary stickers. I'm confident these limited
edition pieces of OSS archaeology will be on eBay commanding a hefty
pricetag before long ;-)

    Despite being a tiny bit off the beaten path, we received a fair bit
of foot traffic with a pretty steady stream of visitors. As is always
the case, we fielded a wide range of questions. A good bit of people
were interested in how we pay for what we do ("We love our sponsors!").
A lot of folks asked how long we've worked for Apache ("Work?! We do
this for FUN!"). Some were rather curious about what's coming up ("Take
a look at the incubator"). A few asked where to even get started in Open
Source ("You've come to the right place!"). On three occasions, we were
confused with Spring because a GI-GANTIC sign was erected behind all
three of the OSS foundations' booths. And, what I loved the most of all,
is the fact that we lost count of the number of times we heard, "Oh, we
love Apache!" and "Thanks for what you guys do!"

    Just like every other time "working the booth", it was an absolute
joy to tell our story, engage with the community we love so much, and
evangelize the OSS mission. I look forward to the next one!
--
Daniel Ruggeri