Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/24 14:39:11 UTC

Re: Transactions and AfterCommit

Hi everyone

There are two @CommitAfters and both work differently from each other.

Hibernate's @CommitAfter.

Here is the advisor

http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/src-html/org/apache/tapestry5/internal/hibernate/HibernateTransactionAdvisorImpl.html#line.26

It just starts a transaction before the method is invoked and commits/rollbacks at the end of the invocation. So nested transactions will work here.  but the problems that Martin mentioned will be there. Dimitry is right to point out that it won't be a problem as long as the service implementation is calling its own methods(annotated with @CommitAfter in the interface).

JPA's @CommitAfter

Here is the advice

http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/src-html/org/apache/tapestry5/internal/jpa/CommitAfterMethodAdvice.html

I may be wrong but I think this one has a flaw. It doesn't start a transaction if one exists but commits. so it won't work with nested transactions. if we have A() calling B() where A and B are methods annotated with @CommitAfter belonging to two different services, A with start a transaction and B wont start another as A has already started but will commit it at the end of the method invocation.

Now there are some issues.

1. We should have common implementation for both
2. It should be properly documented.
3. We have to choose between whether we want to implement @CommitAfter in a way so that only one transaction takes place even in nested methods or we want a beginTransaction() and commit()/rollback() for each call like hibernate's implementation does. In any case JPA's implementation needs fixing.

I am moving the discussion to development.

regards
Taha

Posted by John <jo...@quivinco.com>.
Yes I am aware that JEE has evolved hugely and have used Glassfish, the days of it's over complexity are gone. I still don't see much of a business case for it unless I have need of EJBs to provide distributed transactions, or message queues and so forth.

Rewriting the wheel for transactions would be a little crazy I guess. If I do have to go the route of implement XA I'll certainly give JEE more consideration, although I'm still interested in what can be achieved with stand alone bitronix.

I'll check out FlowLogix later, thank you.

John
Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
John,

Posted by Taha Hafeez Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by John <jo...@quivinco.com>.
1) and 2) agreed - CommitAfter is ok for the trivial applications (still don't like it on the interface)

3) I like reuse and familiarity, but I'm not sure that adopting EJB lingo will increase or decrease potential for confusion?

4) yes, fully features set of something

JTA yes please! In an ideal world I'd write some annotations to go in my DAOs that implement bitronix/XA somehow behind the scenes.

John
  <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

  > Hi everyone

  Hi!