Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2022/07/04 14:55:58 UTC

[Draft] Apache Jena - July 2022

The mission of Jena is the creation and maintenance of software related
to a Java framework for building Semantic Web applications.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Jena was founded 2012-04-18 (10 years ago)
There are currently 18 committers and 13 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 9:7.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Aaron Coburn on 2019-01-22.
- No new committers. Last addition was Greg Albiston on 2019-07-08.

Ian Dickinson (ijd@) asked to leave the PMC due to a change of focus.

## Project Activity:

Jena 4.5.0 was released on 2022-05-04.

There were three ICLAs requested for some significant contributions
in-progress. Two have been filed; one has been affected by illness.

## Community Health:

Jena 10th anniversary as a TLP was 18/April/2022.

In the last board report, we got a request to hear about the activation
of github issues. We also reorganised the emailing lists as well to have
separate list for issues and JIRA, not using the dev@ list.

As a project, Jena communications fluctuate so it isn't possible in 3
months to be completely conclusive on all points but the switch from
JIRA to github issues has been remarkably complete and swift.

Github issues were enabled at the beginning of May.

* The use of github issues has quickly taken over from JIRA as the
preferred route. (Jena still gets a few JIRA tickets.)

   routed to other lists.

* The project also enabled the github discussions area. This has seen
   some activity but not a lot. The users@ list has been relatively
   quiet. (Nowadays a significant number of Jena questions are on
   StackOverflow anyway.)

* We have had more external contributors.

* There has been several large, significant contributions on github. We
   can't conclusively say that it is related to the change but some of
   them are filed early - being worked publicly on the contributor's PR
   branch, rather than being finished work when the PR is opened.

* We have put in github workflow templates for issues and pull requests.
   For PR's this includes a statement that the contributions are
   understood as being made under the Apache Contributors agreement.

* The issues templates refer to the Code of Conduct.