Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu> on 2011/09/12 22:25:18 UTC

hyperlinks out of ?

Is there any way to embed hyperlinks in the POM description element?  If I
put them in plain, the result is an invalid document; if I wrap them in
CDATA then the markup comes through.  Adding and using the XHTML
namespace made no difference with the plain markup.

The description seems like the right place to link to e.g. protocol
specifications and other standards.  Like: "BaloneySoft FooPlex

Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

Re: hyperlinks out of ?

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

On 09/12/2011 10:25 PM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> Is there any way to embed hyperlinks in the POM description element?  If I
> put them in plain, the result is an invalid document; if I wrap them in
> CDATA then the markup comes through.  Adding and using the XHTML
> namespace made no difference with the plain markup.
>
> The description seems like the right place to link to e.g. protocol
> specifications and other standards.  Like: "BaloneySoft FooPlex

The description in the pom xsd [1] states:

"A detailed description of the project, used by Maven whenever it needs
to describe the project, such as on the web site. While this element can
be specified as CDATA to enable the use of HTML tags within the
description, it is discouraged to allow plain text representation. If
you need to modify the index page of the generated web site, you are
able to specify your own instead of adjusting this text."

This text is ambiguous IMO, since the description element is specified
to be of type string, ie no markup allowed, and markup inside CDATA is
(correctly) not interpreted by the site plugin. So if you want
hyperlinks in your index page, you should specify your own. Also bear in
mind that the description might be used in contexts other than html.

HTH,
-Lukas

[1] http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd