Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@Hammant.org> on 2004/08/03 19:28:27 UTC

FtpServer in the incubator - help needed!

Geronimo Folks,

Once upon a time, in the very early days of the incubator, a small
project was moved there from the Avalon codebase. It was a bit of an
unusual way for a project to move to the Incubator, and it did not come
with the usual community dynamics expected of projects arriving in
Apache. Essentially it was Rana Battacharyya and me. Rana used to work
in the US, but returned home to India after the downturn (got married
etc etc etc) and now dials up.

The project in question was called FtpServer.  It is wholly dependant on
Avalon-Framework and the former Phoenix container.

I'm half way thru refactoring the code to *also* be Constructor
Dependency Injection (CDI) capable. That will mean that essential at the
simplest, an embeddor could do ..

  FtpServer ftpServer = new FtpSeverImpl();
  ftpServer.start();

Anyway, this stuff is too good to languish there uncompleted.....

*What is needed is some new committers*

Given that it would be so cool to run this puppy integrated with
Geronimo (an optional GBean plugin), I think it would be great to
solicit interest here.  Now, we can't just say "you, you and you, you're
in as committers" - Apache does not work that way, at least not for
non-committers.  What we can say is that patches will be recieved
gratefully and in time, and on merit, invitations for committer /may/ be
offered. That's the case for all Apache committerships - they're
informally offered, never sought.  In the mean time, from the Geronimo
developers, those with a hankering to do more than they are doing -
please duck into the projects@incubator list.

TODO ...

1) Complete refactoring to so that FtpServer may be deployed without
Avalon - note this is not the removal of Avalon capability
2) Put in GBean enablers (I say this thru gritted teeth Dain :-)
3) Work on Ftplet (think Servlet but for FTP instead of HTTP)
4) Unit / Integration tests :-)
5) Loom/Phoenix/Merin compatability work
6) Mavenisation

Any others ?

Avalon people - get interested too :-)

- Paul & Rana

Re: FtpServer in the incubator - help needed!

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
Paul,

You could try sending an email to the geronimo development list to try
to solicit more help.

Also on the GBean front, after our discussions in Portland I plan
simplifying the component contract for basic (no-lifecycle aware) beans
to be the same as Pico.  The only thing Geronimo specific would the be
the GBean metadata, which we need to determine stuff like which
attributes are persistent.  I have some ideas on making GBeans be Pico
compliant, but it will take a bit of time to get there.

-dain