Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by pranjul yadav <ip...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/21 09:12:45 UTC

Contribution@Mahout

Hi,

I am a masters student ( Comp Science with focus on data mining and machine
learning) and want to contribute to Apache Mahout. I want to contribute in
Recommendation Systems and was wondering what would be the most ideal way
to start contributing.

I have seen the web pages about Mahout Contribution put would still like to
know about ways in which I could start. Does it have to start with
commenting code ?

Thanks
Regards
Pranjul

Re: Contribution@Mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:12 AM, pranjul yadav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a masters student ( Comp Science with focus on data mining and machine
> learning) and want to contribute to Apache Mahout. I want to contribute in
> Recommendation Systems and was wondering what would be the most ideal way
> to start contributing.
>
> I have seen the web pages about Mahout Contribution put would still like to
> know about ways in which I could start. Does it have to start with
> commenting code ?

No, definitely not.  The main idea here, though is to get started with small incremental things as opposed to trying to take on big changes.  I'd recommend focusing on an area of interest and then looking in JIRA for issues related to those areas and see if you can produce patches for them.

-Grant