Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Theise <et...@cisco.com> on 2009/04/09 18:29:55 UTC

chained externals require double updates (sometimes)

Hi,

We pull code from the PHPUnit repository, which in turn pulls YAML-
related code from a symfony repository.  Very often it requires two
updates to get everything, like this:

propset svn:externals "svn://svn.phpunit.de/phpunit/phpunit/branches/
release/3.4/PHPUnit PHPUnit-3.4" /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/
tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear
update /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear -r HEAD --force
     Updating external location at: /Users/erictheise/Documents/
workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4
     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Extensions

     ...many files...

     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/PHP.php
      U /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4
     Updating external location at: /Users/erictheise/Documents/
workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML
     Skipped /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/
php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML
     Updated to revision 4770.
     Updated to revision 30040.
     ===== File Statistics: =====
     Added: 587
     ==== Property Statistics: =====
     Updated: 1
update /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear -r HEAD --force
     Updating external location at: /Users/erictheise/Documents/
workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4
     Updating external location at: /Users/erictheise/Documents/
workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML
     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML/sfYamlDumper.class.php
     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML/sfYamlParser.class.php
     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML/sfYamlInline.class.php
     A  /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML/sfYaml.class.php
     Updated to revision 14371.
     Updated to revision 4770.
     ===== File Statistics: =====
     Added: 4
     Updated to revision 30040.

It's annoying for individual developers, but it causes more serious
problems in our continuous build environment.

It happens intermittently, and we thought it was somehow related to
our internal network.  The lead developer of PHPUnit had never
experienced such a thing until recently, when it happened for him
using a connection at a hotel.

If anyone has any insight into what causes this and how it can be
avoided, we'd sure love to read about it.

Thanks, Eric

Re: chained externals require double updates (sometimes)

Posted by Eric Theise <et...@cisco.com>.
Hi,

Sorry to pester, but has anyone seen this behavior and is there
anything that can be done about it?

The situation is that we're using svn:externals to pull from one
repository, and that repository uses svn:externals to pull a library
from a second repository.  Sometimes an update succeeds from the
first, but the library is "Skipped" thusly:

Updating external location at: /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/
tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML
Skipped /Users/erictheise/Documents/workspace/tests/trunk/lib/ext/php/
pear/PHPUnit-3.4/Util/YAML

A second update seems to always fetch the library successfully.

As I said in my initial message, it's annoying to developers, but it
wreaks havoc in our continuous build environment.

Thanks for any insights, Eric