Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2012/10/06 01:59:37 UTC

OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

I upload the OpenOffice SVG logo on pure SVG, still needs some cleanup
on the nodes, but this is a 100% SVG logo.
The attachment is on the cWiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg
&
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=27834483&sortBy=date&

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> I upload the OpenOffice SVG logo on pure SVG, still needs some cleanup
> on the nodes, but this is a 100% SVG logo.
> The attachment is on the cWiki:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg
> &
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=27834483&sortBy=date&
>
> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Alexandro,

This looks super! Would it be possible to get the svg for just the orb part
without the lettering? Or is this something one of our more graphically
inclined folks to produce? Or maybe separately AND together?

Mostly, I think the goal should be  to keep things sync'ed up in:

www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/

and you will note, they currently are not.

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/8/12, Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com> wrote:
> 	Hi Ian,
>
> On 07.10.2012 00:10, Ian Lynch wrote:

>>>   Since
>>>
>>> Well this would be confusing in itself, doesnt it already has a printed
>>> TM?
>>>

>> One thing that immediately springs to mind is that Inkscape is getting
>> used
>> for these drawings in preference to AOO Draw because it supports svg.  If
>> we are serious about a drawing component to AOO and to open standards we
>> must have a strategy to fully support svg. This has been an on-going
>> issue
>> since the start of OOo but it is getting more and more urgent as time
>> goes
>> on. Armin has done some great work, no doubt about it but we really need
>> take it further. I only wish I had the know how.
>
> It would be nice to fully support it, but don't forget that we need
> these things as OLE, MS-compatible CustomShapes and more stuff not
> supported by SVG, so there is no way to get a pure SVG editor from
> Draw/Impress.
> We already have the good import (which creates an imported graphic
> containing the SVG) and a medium-quality export. Currently to do more
> than transformaing the SVG you need to 'break' it to draw objects
> (convert to our internal ODF data).
> The easiest way to support this with more deph would be to go into a
> 'Svg'-mode when a SVG graphic is selected (comparable from the theory to
> go to a bitmap editor UI when selecting a bitmap graphic).
> Both would lead to writing new programs with new UI for these cases, a
> long lasting task to do, but possible. Woulöd also be nice for bitmap
> graphics, though. The quesion is if this would not already overburden
> our normal target users...
> A good and logic way forward would be to write a SVG2.0 export, that
> could be used for playing presentations without AOO at all. Any
> volunteers...?

I think this conversation really needs it's own thread. But I wanted
to add that it would be good to try dto draw something complex like
the orb on draw and then on inkscape to get a full grasp of Draw
limitations and advantages.

Draw way of doing things are much more structure, meaning that has
more dialogs to go through and less easy to use things like mouse.

One example is the use of text. Inkscape will dinamically grow or
reduce the fonts as the user resize the Text box. Draw will only c
hange the size of the text box.

Draw management of layers are much less intuitive than Inkscape,
trying to lock or hide a layer is a button, while on draw is a hidden
menu.

Inkscape has a great color management (it could even be better with a
always on text box of the hex). Draw is more strict with the palette
and you need to introduce the color to the palette first to use it.
Also much more limited palette.

Gradients and transparencies are much more intensive to work in draw,
althought the toolbar does provide some quick access to global
transparency, there is only to the object and not the color. (same
issue of the palette).

I know Inkscape and Draw are contextually different, so I will even go
into comparing Draw with Scribus. The way Scribus does gradients,
shapes, layers, bitmap adjustment seems a bit less process intensive
than Draw.

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi Ian,

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/6/12, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On 10/6/12, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  Since
>>>
>>> Well this would be confusing in itself, doesnt it already has a printed
>>> TM?
>>>

>> One thing that immediately springs to mind is that Inkscape is getting
>> used
>> for these drawings in preference to AOO Draw because it supports svg.  If
>> we are serious about a drawing component to AOO and to open standards we
>> must have a strategy to fully support svg. This has been an on-going
>> issue
>> since the start of OOo but it is getting more and more urgent as time
>> goes
>> on. Armin has done some great work, no doubt about it but we really need
>> take it further. I only wish I had the know how.
>
> Scribus, which is a DTP application in many ways similar and
> compatible with OOo Draw (and followups) also provide a very good
> support for SVG. This could be a great testcase to understand how they
> approach and support SVG's advanced features[1] like animation,
> scripting, and gradients.
>
> One big difference I have felt on Draw versus Inkscape (in practice)
> is the way curve lines work, is opposite to what inkcape and other
> tracing software (fontforge, sodipodi, gimp, etc) had us used to. The
> node's vertices behave on an opposite manner and make the drawing
> techniques vary somewhat. I am not sure why this is and hope a DTP
> expert can define a line between drawing and DTP.
>
> Funny enough the Scribus community reffers to us[2] for creating high
> quality graphics thanks to our sophisticate 3D extensions on objects.
>
> [1]http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4732 |
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1701
> [2]http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_Create_a_High-Quality_Chart_Using_OpenOffice.org_and_Scribus

Further chat with the people on the #scribus chatroom on IRC they
point me out about the way they handle SVG, which is through a Plugin.
http://sourceforge.net/p/scribus/trunk/ci/08c3ce529d3e508802200fdb0fe67bc9f00000e0/tree/Scribus/scribus/plugins/import/svg/

By the way, there is also some good documentation on the way they hand
the ODG fileformat (OO draw native fileformat)
http://sourceforge.net/p/scribus/trunk/ci/08c3ce529d3e508802200fdb0fe67bc9f00000e0/tree/Scribus/scribus/plugins/import/oodraw/

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

--
Ian

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexandro,

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/6/12, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> I upload the OpenOffice SVG logo on pure SVG, still needs some cleanup
>> on the nodes, but this is a 100% SVG logo.
>> The attachment is on the cWiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg
>> &
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=27834483&sortBy=date&
>
> The orb is really nice here, a flawless vectorization of what we have.
>
> The text appears a bit distorted, or maybe it's just my on-screen
> rendering: for example, the "O" seems a bit wider and the "e" seems to
> be cut on the right, at least comparing the last image at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=27834483
> with your version.
>
> Font was discussed in this thread
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/11468
> and it looks like the discussion settled on Verdana despite some
> comments about it being non-free; anyway it is a very common font, so it
> might be possible to get it perfectly rendered to SVG too.

Ah thanks that makes it much easier than tracing (which is what I was
doing). Then I should put up a v2.0

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> and it looks like the discussion settled on Verdana despite some comments
> about it being non-free; anyway it is a very common font, so it might be
> possible to get it perfectly rendered to SVG too.

Apparently there´s a free alternative to verdana:Kalimati

See the screenshots it looks the same if you ask me

http://mondaybynoon.com/20070402/linux-font-equivalents-to-popular-web-typefaces/

FC

Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
> wrote:
>
> [....]
>

> > > Here is the Liberation font with some Condensed Bitstream on the Os.
> > > http://imagebin.org/231157
> > >
> > > please comment.
> >
> > Here is the proper but with using Nimbus:
> > http://imagebin.org/231160
>
> I do like Nimbus, however if we are going to use a font rather than a
> graphic,

Graphics is an option, I like this sample of graphics used on a font
http://opensourceschools.org.uk/book/export/html/4

This will make it look greatly artistically with gradients and other vector
object. Maybe a feather-like feature to the font style.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/17/12, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's try some design explorations using open source fonts. I have some
> comps I will share.

+1

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
Oh and please excuse top posting I'm sending this from my non I-phone
Cheers

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/7/12, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Alexandro Colorado  wrote:
>>> Here is the Liberation font with some Condensed Bitstream on the Os.
>>> http://imagebin.org/231157
>>> please comment.
>> Here is the proper but with using Nimbus:
>> http://imagebin.org/231160
>
> It's nice to see all these variants but remember that the current effort
> is about obtaining an exact SVG version of
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO-logo-hires.jpg
> (which is our official logo and uses, apparently, Verdana).

Actually I tried to use verdana but it seems is not to be as straight
forward. Both Verdana and Verdana Bold don't quite adjust to the
original logo. It seems the logo uses a SemiBold typeface.

Here is the Regular Verdana on the logo:

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Adobe Open Source Fonts!!! dang, I have been out of the font game too long and
missed this completely.  That is just wickedly cool.

Well done Adobe

Cheers
GL

Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]

Not a big fan of the joined F's
http://imagebin.org/231162

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
>________________________________
> From: Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
>
>On 10/6/12, Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> With all of the Bitstream fonts (DejaVu, and Liberation are just variations
>> on
>> the original Bitstream) compressing the font results in the character
>> looking
>> top heavy with a fat butt because the arcs are  now wider than the
>> stresses.
>
>Here is the Liberation font with some Condensed Bitstream on the Os.
>http://imagebin.org/231157
>
>please comment.

License?

Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Feel free to use them, actually as I was seen Stella's portafolio,
there was some T-Shirt designs, wonder if they could inspire some some
new designs.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/OpenOfficeorg-Brand-Refresh/1280381

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi.