Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> on 2008/04/30 20:22:09 UTC

integration with Microsoft point of sale?

Totally off the wall...

My wife and I own a franchise that is requiring us to drop 2k into a POS system (software only).  The home office is requiring the pos system be Microsoft POS, so they can get their data.

I was wondering if anyone has written a connector for ofbiz that would provided a external interface that provided this functionality.  Incidentally, I have some experience with ofbiz, and some with b2b connections like tibco, interconnect, etc... so that's why I may have come up with this crazy idea;)

Thanks.

Re: integration with Microsoft point of sale?

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I'm not aware of the details of Microsoft POS, but in general with
Microsoft products the trick is that either their specifications are
unpublished, or they have significant nuances that are undocumented
and cause significant pain when trying to work with their stuff.

So yes, I'd say in theory it is possible. It would probably be a
rather painful process, unless you could find something like a library
to talk to the MS POS server acting like an MS POS client.

One other factor: the economics may not make a lot of sense... if
you're only trying to save $2k by the effort chances are you'll end up
upside down on the development effort required.

-David

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Microsoft POS is a windows server .net application.
The "home office" runs this server and I doubt would allow you to mess
with it to send data to ofbiz.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/embedded/aa731257.aspx
However I have done similar projects, so if you want to start a dialog
with the Home office and see if they are interested I can propose some
ways that would not adversely effect their system.

Phillip Rhodes sent the following on 4/30/2008 11:22 AM: