Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <an...@apache.org> on 2015/03/24 22:46:44 UTC

Big Update

Dear all

I committed a big update some minutes ago containing:

   - I created a sandbox module directory moving many of the unfinished,
   unstable, empty parts into it.
   - I implemented a default behaviour and adapted the minimal
   implementation in core, that adds System Props and all files found on
   META-INF/javaconfiguration.properties (as already described by the current
   user guide).
   - I fixed some design issues in formats and adapte all code affected.
   - I was going through a lot of code (not all) of existing modules and
   reduced API footprint, things exposed, where I find it not necessary. E.g.
   where URL is taken as resource input, it is not necessary to have files on
   top of it.
   - Removed code that duplicates aspects already solved in other modules,
   e.g. formats. In one case I extended the formats module with a method
   removed, hereby extending the (already existing) generic functionality
   instead of reimplementing a non generic approach.
   - I added an *examples *folder and created a first couple of isolated
   examples illustrating some of the features we have now in place, starting
   from simple, writing your own PropertySource, using resources, resolver and
   events module. I used them during my talk today. Beside the events example
   (there is an issue in the events module I have to fix), everything should
   work.

Please review the modules that were not written by me for changes done. If
you have deep disagrees let us discuss things here on the mailing list,
what we can do.

@Oliver The current build will fail, because FindBugs again comes up with a
useless false positive (can you switch that rule out completely ;) ):
The class org.apache.tamaya.metamodel.simple.SimpleConfigProvider$1 could
be refactored into a named _static_ inner class
["org.apache.tamaya.metamodel.simple.SimpleConfigProvider$1"] At
SimpleConfigProvider.java:[lines 67-72]

I also commented out Arquilian deps on core, because I had issues with it
during test execution. Perhaps somebody can have a look at that so we can
reenable/readd these tests again...

Thanks and have a good night.

Cheers,
Anatole

PS.: Be with me, I have to fly back tomorrow with GermanWings...

Re: Big Update

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
I just try to keep core as minimalistic as possible, so basically
everything that I can see can be done outside of it easily, IMO should be
done outside, if its not (Java) API relevant...

Re: Big Update

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Big Update

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: Big Update

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
It may be a heritage from the idea of a JSR. From an Apache CI point it
makes sense, and even more should something like a Config standard arise
some day. If used side-by side with Tamaya there's no ambiguity;-)

Actual naming of properties where they're pre-set by the project, I guess
Tomcat gives a good example of many properties:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/systemprops.html

Werner

Re: Big Update

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Big Update

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I was also thinking on something like that. Basically this kind of feature
is also provided by the "simple" meta model (as a module). In core I would
keep it simple. Since you can easily add such a feature by a module, I
would suggest it would be enough to have a small switch that allows you to
deactivate this default property source provider...

WDYT?

Re: Big Update

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Btw. Swissair (now also part of Lufthansa Group) had an even more severe
(in terms of victims) crash in '98
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

There the cause was obviously technical.I hope nobody from CS was on that
flight back then, given it connected NY and Switzerland?;-O
Sorry for the side note and A very safe trip to everyone out of JavaLand;-)

Werner

Re: Big Update

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.