Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Murukesh Mohanan <mu...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/08 07:44:12 UTC

Splitting up CHANGES

Python recently made a switch to Github, and I was an interested onlooker. One thing I found relevant to Cassandra was a new tool added by Larry Hastings, called blurb (https://github.com/larryhastings/blurb):

> blurb is a tool designed to rid CPython core development of the scourge of Misc/NEWS conflicts.
>
> The core concept: split Misc/NEWS into many separate files that, when concatenated back together in
> sorted order, reconstitute the original Misc/NEWS file. After that, Misc/NEWS could be deleted from the
> CPython repo and thereafter rendered on demand (e.g. when building a release). When checking in a ?
> change to CPython, the checkin process will write out a new file that sorts into the correct place, using
> a filename unlikely to have a merge conflict.

The CHANGES file strikes me as being a similar pain point. I think we could do with something like blurb for Cassandra. Blurb is, at the moment, very Python-centric, but I think it could be made more extensible and generic. Thoughts?