Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/15 14:18:09 UTC

Mojarra and us...

Hello everyone I wanted to start a legal discussion here regarding the
status of Mojarra and our codebase.

As far as I understood it is following.
The mojarra license prevents us from using their code, while they can
use ours, this is fine with me the Apache license is more liberal.

The Mojarra and Apache license however do not prevent that we can have
an occasional look into the mojarra codebase to check things out which
are not 100% clearly defined, so that we are in sync there, or to
prevent external patches being applied which might have mojarra code
inside (we had that once in the past with comments copy pasted from the
spec or mojarra)

Am I right or wrong?

I am just asking to clear this up once and for all.

Werner

Re: Mojarra and us...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to explain, I noticed that we probably need a special response writer
> impl which tries to determine script blocks the way
> Trinidad does it to send the scripts as separate entities in the ppr
> response. I wanted to check if Mojarra already had something along those

there is a user/dev list for mojarra, right ?

> lines implemented and if not, wanted to send them a bug notification,
> because this is the standard way to handle inline scripts over the component
> api. (startTag("script usually should trigger a deferred
> writing of the next responseWriter commands, in a special eval section)
>
> So before doing this I want to clear this up once and for all!
> As I said I am not eager to touch mojarra code in this regard, but I
> personally would prefer to be in sync in both implementations in such corner
> areas partially not covered by the spec!

IMO this is critical;

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Mojarra and us...

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mojarra and us...

Posted by Ganesh <ga...@j4fry.org>.
Hi,

At least for the AJAX part I can tell that many details are treated as
implementation details, so the spec purposely leaves them open. On some
details in the jsdocs Roger has even relaxed the wording of the spec to
leave the details to the impl. If we muddle through the specs and do it
our way the MyFaces AJAX and the Mojarra AJAX won't have compatible XML
interfaces (syntactically, yes, but not sematically). This would be bad
in two ways:
1. The way things have been going until now the spec will further evolve
to match the behaviour of Mojarra. They have all right to try out new
features in their impl before writing them into the spec, but it seems
wise to stay close.
2. If the MyFaces Javascript doesn't work with the Mojarra server, the
t:ajax tag (I'm working on it ...) wouldn't run with Mojarra.

Here is how I've been treating this: By testing with Mojarra I've
checked their implementation's behaviour if I wasn't sure how to
interpret the specs. Just running it and checking a test apps behaviour
as well as the transferred XML stream for serveral corner cases
definitely doesn't break any license. I don't think reading their code
is a helpful idea - we'd just repeat the same errors they have made and
aren't we convinced to know it better? ;-)

Best regards,
Ganesh

Re: Mojarra and us...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.