Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2020/07/29 00:49:26 UTC

Do we publish a CouchDB+Clouseau docker?

Hi there,

Recently IBM donated their CouchDB+Clouseau (in RedHat UBI form) docker
container to the apache/couchdb-docker repository. One of their
customers, Grapevine AI, is asking if we can release this and publish it
under the apache/couchdb Docker Hub location.

As I said in the merge request here :
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker/pull/187

> We haven't had the time to review any licensing and operational considerations to publish this image. Previously, licensing considerations around Java and the runtime were the main reason we didn't ship this in our binary downloads. Docker is a little different in that we're only putting together a recipe, and a 3rd party builds the binaries, but it deserves discussion.
>
> Given that Cloudant haven't donated the Clouseau code to Apache, and it's my understanding that this code isn't likely to be maintained going forward beyond bare-minimum effort to keep it running, I'm reluctant to slap the Apache name on it and mark this a supported image from our perspective - though it's been stable for a while. Perhaps @rnewson can comment further here, as the main progenitor of the code in question. I will bring this up on our development mailing list, where the decision needs to be made.
>
> Of course, nothing's stopping you from building and publishing the image yourself for your own needs today. Keep in mind you may not label it as "Apache CouchDB" or advertise it as such, as this is trademarked by the Foundation and under our control.

I'd like to see what the (binding, voting) committers think about this
issue before acting, as I can't decide simply what's in the best
interest of the project on this one. Please speak up.

-Joan "groggy" Touzet