Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Leditschke <mi...@ammd.com.au> on 2002/09/03 14:47:07 UTC

LOCKing a non-existent resouce

Slide allows the locking of a previously
non-existent resource. A couple of
questions.

1. Should this be allowed? I couldn't
find reference to such a condition in RFC2518.

2. If it is allowed, should this appear in IE
Web Folders and if so how? At he moment,
it looks like a directory but
any attempt to copy files into the "directory"
fails with a 409 status code.

Regards
Michael

--

Michael Leditschke
AMMD Professional Services Pty Ltd

"The question of whether computers can think is
like the question of whether submarines can swim"

                    --Edsger W. Dijkstra,
                      deceased 6 August 2002

Re: LOCKing a non-existent resouce

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
The next revision of RFC 2518 will change the defined behaviour
of lock-null resources in the following manner:

http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm item 80

LOCK on a non-existing URL (where the collection parent exists)
will create a locked, empty plain resource. The resource cannot
be changed into a collection. When the lock expires, the resource
will stay.

//Stefan

Hint: the MS WebFolder shows everything as a collection where
the DAV:resourcetype property is non-empty.

Am Mittwoch den, 4. September 2002, um 01:54, schrieb Michael
Leditschke:

Posted by A Felix <te...@yahoo.com>.
--- Michael Leditschke <mi...@ammd.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks for the reference.
>
> It raises a couple of extra questions.
>
> 1. The text suggests the resource is NOT a
> collection.
> However this is how it appears in IE Web Folders.
>
> 2. Once unlocked, the text says the resource returns
> to the NULL state. What does this mean in practice?
It means that resource name must disappear from
members list. Basically, this functionality is
provided to reserve names. I have not checked Slide
for this, as I use slide client to talk to NetWare
server and IIS. I have seen on IIS, resource continue
to exist even after unlocking.

> Should it still appear as a node in SLIDE?
If you go by RFC then it should not appear.

> IE continues to show the resource as a directory,
> but
> won't allow it to have members, presumably because
> it
> doesn't think its a collection.
The reason for this could be that Server might have
assigned a non-collection resource type to that
resource and hence you can't add members to that.
I don't think IE should assign any type to a resource
on it's own.
Best way to find out these things is to use slide
client and try to add, so you would be able to find
the root cause of the problem. Obviously doing this
will take some time ;)

 -af

Posted by Michael Leditschke <mi...@ammd.com.au>.
Thanks for the reference.