Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Steven McDowall <sj...@aptest.com> on 2000/07/12 19:35:07 UTC

Build Error ... Which xerces is the proper one now?!?

I just grabbed the latest tree (CVS) from xml.apache.org for SOAP and when
I try to build I get the error that import "org.apache.xerces.utils.Base64"
not found..

Which, since I am using xerces 1.0.3 is true..there is no Base64 in THAT
version..
It is in 1.1.2, and maybe one in between. However, there appears to be well
documented
evidence that other versions of xerces (namely 1.1.1 and 1.1.2) DON'T work
with
Soap 1.2 due to a bug in how either Soap handles some response from xerces
(something about either a null pointer or empty string being returned from
xerces
under some condition and Soap only checking the null..)

Anyway, what's the best way to get this pooch to work?

BTW, for what its worth, I do consider the "Unix" bug of not sending \r\n
for HTTP
headers a MAJOR critical failure. This has caused me hours of trying to
figure out
what is happening since it DOES actually work some time.. I think it has to
do with
how much tomcat receives in one buffer..

Anyway, once this latest Base64, xerces thing is "fixed" I would suggest a
new build / release with appropriate modifications to the README / INSTALL
area saying which
xerces is correct... And may I suggest "we" try to get it working with the
latest
stock version of xerces from xml.apache.org?  :-)

Regards,

Steve

---
Steven J. McDowall                 phone: +1 763 780-8814
ApTest                               fax: +1 763 786-8180
                                  e-mail: sjm@aptest.com

Re: Build Error ... Which xerces is the proper one now?!?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
> I just grabbed the latest tree (CVS) from xml.apache.org for SOAP and when
> I try to build I get the error that import "org.apache.xerces.utils.Base64"
> not found..
>
> Which, since I am using xerces 1.0.3 is true..there is no Base64 in THAT
> version..
> It is in 1.1.2, and maybe one in between. However, there appears to be well
> documented
> evidence that other versions of xerces (namely 1.1.1 and 1.1.2) DON'T work
> with
> Soap 1.2 due to a bug in how either Soap handles some response from xerces
> (something about either a null pointer or empty string being returned from
> xerces
> under some condition and Soap only checking the null..)
>
> Anyway, what's the best way to get this pooch to work?

We now pre-req Xerces 1.1.2. I have not had any trouble with that
version of Xerces, although someone else has reported problems.
I am still waiting for details on those problems to see what's going
on.

> BTW, for what its worth, I do consider the "Unix" bug of not sending \r\n
> for HTTP
> headers a MAJOR critical failure. This has caused me hours of trying to
> figure out
> what is happening since it DOES actually work some time.. I think it has to
> do with
> how much tomcat receives in one buffer..

This has been fixed in CVS.

> Anyway, once this latest Base64, xerces thing is "fixed" I would suggest a
> new build / release with appropriate modifications to the README / INSTALL
> area saying which
> xerces is correct... And may I suggest "we" try to get it working with the
> latest
> stock version of xerces from xml.apache.org?  :-)

I did try it with the latest Xerces (1.1.2) - if there's something
else please do post it here.

Sanjiva.

Re: Build Error ... Which xerces is the proper one now?!?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.

Posted by Steven McDowall <sj...@aptest.com>.
Ok.. I grabbed the newest xerces.1.1.2 and got everything working..

I posted a rather lengthy email on soap-user@ explaining what I did to get
it to work for Linux/Tomcat 3.1. That may help other people I hope :-)

-Steve

---