Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com> on 2005/12/21 21:52:57 UTC

Either keeps in table rows in 0.20.5 or non-collapsing paragraphs in .90alpha

Hi, all,

I'm creating reports for a new client. The reports consist entirely of
tables (not blind tables used for layout but actual tabular content).

In 0.20.5, I can't get keep-together or keep-with-next to work on a table
row. I get page breaks within table-cells.

In .90alpha, I don't get page breaks in table-cells, but it causes another
problem. .90alpha collapses (renders with 0 height, it seems) blocks that
contain just a non-breaking space (that is, character & # 1 6 0 ; with extra
spaces). I need those blocks to be full height, as I am using them to
position things within table cells. Collapsing <fo:block/> would be fine
(I'm using empty blocks for page breaks between tables, in fact, and it's
good there), but it seems to me that blocks with content (even just a space)
shouldn't be collapsed.

So, I either need to know how to get page breaks to not occur within table
cells (that is, only at the rows between cells) in 0.20.5 or I need to know
how to prevent blocks that contain spaces from collapsing in .90alpha. The
0.20.5 solution would be preferred, but I think I can talk my client into
moving to .90alpha if it fixes the page break problem.

Thanks

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Re: Either keeps in table rows in 0.20.5 or non-collapsing paragraphs in .90alpha

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
Hi, Jeremias,

> Did I understand you correctly that keep-together on
> the table-rows works for you as expected in 0.90?

Yes. keep-together worked in 0.90. Specifically, I used

<fo:table-row keep-together.within-page="always">

> BTW, we're planning on releasing a beta version in the next few days,
> hopefully this week since I want to take a week off.

I lurk on the dev list, so I've been seeing your discussion of the beta. I
look forward to it, as it will make it easier to talk my clients into using
0.90. They are justifiably leary of anything called "alpha". Of course,
they'll still be leary of a beta release, too, but less so.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ah, I see you have multiple lines in a table-cell. In that case, just
specify "5em" (the number of lines you have in "em") on
block-progression-dimension.minimum.

On 21.12.2005 23:54:52 Jay Bryant wrote:
> > What I think could work for you is to specify
> > block-progression-dimension.minimum="1em" on a table-row. In that case,
> > a row cannot collapse even if you only use a minimum <fo:block/> inside
> > the table-cells.
>
> That didn't work with 0.90. Here's a snippet from what I tested:
>
>     <fo:table-row block-progression-dimension.minimum="1em"
> keep-together.within-page="always">
>       <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-style="solid"
> border-color="black">
>         <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="headerleft"><xsl:value-of
> select="@name"/></fo:block>
>         <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="headerleft"><xsl:value-of
> select="@city"/></fo:block>
>         <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="headerleft"><xsl:value-of
> select="@address"/></fo:block>
>       </fo:table-cell>
>       <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-style="solid"
> border-color="black">
>         <fo:block/>
>         <fo:block/>
>         <fo:block/>
>         <fo:block/>
>         <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="headercenter"><xsl:value-of
> select="@id"/></fo:block>
>       </fo:table-cell>
>
> 0.90 collapses those empty blocks.
>
> Jay Bryant
> Bryant Communication Services

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Either keeps in table rows in 0.20.5 or non-collapsing paragraphs in .90alpha

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I'm not so much into 0.20.5 these days, so without a demo file to start
from (to save time) I can only try to help you with 0.90. We do have
some problems with collapsing nbsps as you might have seen on this list
lately. What I think could work for you is to specify
block-progression-dimension.minimum="1em" on a table-row. In that case,
a row cannot collapse even if you only use a minimum <fo:block/> inside
the table-cells. Did I understand you correctly that keep-together on
the table-rows works for you as expected in 0.90? HTH

Re: Either keeps in table rows in 0.20.5 or non-collapsing paragraphs in .90alpha - followup

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
Hi, Jeremias,

> > I used block-containers with height attribute values wrapped around
empty
> > blocks to make my spacer blocks, so I've gotten the .90alpha solution to
> > work. Combined with the -q option to shut off all the to-do messages,
it'll
> > work.
>
> That seems like a hack. Please try my suggestions I just sent.

It feels like a hack, too. I'll try your ideas.

> > I'd still like to know how to prevent page breaks within table cells in
> > 0.20.5 in case my client (or some future client) resists going to
.90alpha.

> keep-together is supposed to work if specified on a table-row. Does that
> mean that this doesn't work in your case. If you can post a small
> example, I can have a look.

Well, while I was preparing a sample that would show the problem, I got
keep-together="always" to work the way it should. I'm not sure what changed,
so I'll let the matter drop, as I don't have time to pursue much testing at
present.

Thanks.

Re: Either keeps in table rows in 0.20.5 or non-collapsing paragraphs in .90alpha - followup

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm creating reports for a new client. The reports consist entirely of
> tables (not blind tables used for layout but actual tabular content).
>
> In 0.20.5, I can't get keep-together or keep-with-next to work on a table
> row. I get page breaks within table-cells.
>
> In .90alpha, I don't get page breaks in table-cells, but it causes another
> problem. .90alpha collapses (renders with 0 height, it seems) blocks that
> contain just a non-breaking space (that is, character & # 1 6 0 ; with
extra
> spaces). I need those blocks to be full height, as I am using them to
> position things within table cells. Collapsing <fo:block/> would be fine
> (I'm using empty blocks for page breaks between tables, in fact, and it's
> good there), but it seems to me that blocks with content (even just a
space)
> shouldn't be collapsed.
>
> So, I either need to know how to get page breaks to not occur within table
> cells (that is, only at the rows between cells) in 0.20.5 or I need to
know
> how to prevent blocks that contain spaces from collapsing in .90alpha. The
> 0.20.5 solution would be preferred, but I think I can talk my client into
> moving to .90alpha if it fixes the page break problem.
>
> Thanks

I used block-containers with height attribute values wrapped around empty
blocks to make my spacer blocks, so I've gotten the .90alpha solution to
work. Combined with the -q option to shut off all the to-do messages, it'll
work.

I'd still like to know how to prevent page breaks within table cells in
0.20.5 in case my client (or some future client) resists going to .90alpha.

Thanks some more.