Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk> on 2010/05/26 18:05:53 UTC

Re: url spam from Hotmail

On 05/26/2010 09:33 PM, Lennart Johansson wrote:
> My first post, please don't kill me for doing some things wrong.
> I see quite a few of these from hotmail orginating from China.
> http://pastebin.com/q308E7ZG
> SA score:
> Score	Matching Rule	Descriptioncached	not
> result=0.002
> 4	krav
> spam	autolearn=not
> 0.00	BAYES_50	Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
> 0.00	HTML_MESSAGE	HTML included in message
>
> Perhaps this is simple to detect if you know how to write the right rule, but I don't.
> Right now it score very low, and I try to learn SA to detect.
> Anybody got any suggestion how to catch them directly?
>

> Best regards
> /Lelle

I mostly catch these with Bayes training. Your example hit BAYES_95 here.

I also score all mail FROM hotmail.com (2-3 points) and then whitelist
legitimate hotmail senders. Hotmail are not to big to block here and I'm
sick of the crap they spew.

Finally,

is listed in Spamhaus (SPL) and I deep parse headers so I got a hit on this.

Unfortunately you can't simply write a rule to combine From Hotmail and
has any URI as all mail from Hotmail has a URI in the footer.

Re: url spam from Hotmail

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.
On 05/26/2010 05:29 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> Also, these Hotmail injected footers always use long-ish URIs with a
> path, no? In that case, a meta with __URI_NO_PATH could help. Something
> like this.
>
>    uri __URI_NO_PATH  m~^https?://[^/]+/?$~

That's possibly a good idea. I was thinking of trying to collate all
known Hotmail Signature/footer URIs and do a meta for Hotmail with URI
other than those that commonly appear in Hotmail footers.

In the end I just decided From Hotmail was worth 3 points and
whitelisted the 20 or so known hotmail sender addresses that appear in
my logs.

Re: url spam from Hotmail

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
> > I see quite a few of these from hotmail orginating from China.

> is listed in Spamhaus (SPL) and I deep parse headers so I got a hit on this.

Unlike PBL and XBL, Spamhaus SBL is safe for deep-parsing. Which SA does
for this part (only) of ZEN.

> Unfortunately you can't simply write a rule to combine From Hotmail and
> has any URI as all mail from Hotmail has a URI in the footer.

A meta rule from Hotmail and originating from China might be possible,
though. If that really is a common pattern. *And* acceptable for your
user-base.