Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Liviu Tudor <li...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/24 00:37:33 UTC

Commons VFS support for Amazon S3?

Hi everyone,

One of the projects I am to work on in the new year requires amongst other
things storage of certain files in the Amazon S3. VFS sprang to mind as I
knew from browsing the Commons repository that it provides an abstraction
layer for dealing with file system ‹ however, it appears there is no S3
support in VFS. Are there plans to include this in a future release? If so,
is there an estimated release date? And also who are the developers
responsible for this? I'm only asking because I'm thinking/hoping that I
might be able to convince my company to put some effort perhaps into
building S3 support into VFS ‹ and as such would be good to be in direct
contact with the lead developers on this if I manage to pull this off.
(Don't take this as a promise though, it's more of a dream I suppose at this
stage :) But you don't find out till you try it so fingers crossed!)

Liv

Liviu Tudor

E: liviu.tudor@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>
M: +44 (0)7917696626
W: http://about.me/liviutudor <http://about.me/liviutudor>
Skype: liviutudor

I'm nobody, nobody's perfect -- therefore I'm perfect!

Re: Commons VFS support for Amazon S3?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 24, 2011, at 6:20, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 December 2011 02:48, Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Instead of coding directly to S3, perhaps you can code to an
>> abstraction library such as jclouds
>> (http://www.jclouds.org/documentation/index)  and let them handle the
>> integration with the various cloud storage providers.  You would get
>> simplified testing and multi-provider support instead of an S3
>> specific implementation.
>>

> See also http://deltacloud.apache.org/ - any synergy there?

Did I miss the java API somewhere?

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Good find. That would be a great add to VFS.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.