Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shaik, Mohammad N." <mo...@accenture.com> on 2017/05/29 05:59:03 UTC

Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Hello,

We are using Tomcat 6.x version and we need to implement the following headers in our environment.

Headers:
1) Strict-Transport-Security
2) Content-Security-Policy
3) Public-Key-Pins
4) X-Frame-Options
5) X-XSS-Protection
6) X-Content-Type-Options
7) X-Robots-Tag

When I checked the Tomcat 6 version webpage (https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/filter.html), I don't see any filters that implement any these headers. Some of them are available in Tomcat 7 version webpage (https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html), but we cannot upgrade to Tomcat 7.x version due to some constraints.

Can you kindly guide me how to implement these headers in Tomcat 6.x version. All your comments on this topic are welcome.

Kind Regards,
Mohammad Nayeem

________________________________

www.accenture.com

Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

mohammad.n.shaik@accenture.com>:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I got the source files (.java) of the filter classes that I was looking
for.

> Should we compile the source file against the servlet jar file(s) present
in "[Tomcat]\lib\"

Yes.
Compile them against the jar files located in Tomcat/lib.
The servlet API classes will be loaded from Tomcat/lib a.k.a. common
loader. More you can find here:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html#Class_Loader_Definitions
- Common — This class loader contains additional classes that are made
visible to both Tomcat internal classes and to all web applications.
- WebappX — A class loader is created for each web application that is
deployed in a single Tomcat instance.

> or "[Tomcat]\webapps\ApplicationName\WEB-INF\lib"? I see there are
multiple JAR files in both these locations. How to locate the exact JAR
file which should be used to compile source files?

> My understanding is that as long as you have your code (.class files) in
any of the JAR files under "lib" folder, system would get it. You don’t
need to have specific code in specific JAR file. Code from all the jar
files under lib folder is considered as one big code, and based on the
class invoked its corresponding code gets executed from that one big code.
Please correct me if this is not right.

> Also, should we include the filters in web.xml file under
"[Tomcat]\conf\" folder or under "WEB-INF" folder of my application?

The web.xml located in Tomcat/conf is the "global" one. The configurations
there will be applied to every web application deployed on the Tomcat
instance. So if you need to apply this filter to all web apps then place
the definition and configurations there. Otherwise you can provide the
filter definition and configurations in the WEB-INF/web.xml for a
particular web app.

Regards,
Violeta

> Regards,
> Mohammad

complete source-to-binary for Tomcat 7. Just grab the source, take the
classes you need, and compile them against the servlet JAR you already have
for Tomcat 6. Feel free to re-name the packages if they are awkward for you
to compile/install and then just reference the new class names in your
application/server.

> Remember to watch for patches to those source files in Tomcat 7 in case
they include e.g. security updates -- you'll want to apply those same
updates to the code you have taken from Tomcat 7.

> A longer-term goal should be to upgrade to Tomcat 8 or 8.5. Tomcat is
backward-compatible with all spec-compliant applications, though it does
behave differently sometimes as the Servlet Experts Group has clarified
certain questions or added new capabilities (like annotation-processing). I
recommend a long period of testing with a new version of Tomcat, but I also
recommend that you begin that testing as soon as possible. Tomcat 6 will
probably receive *no further updates, security or otherwise*, even if a
vulnerability is foun d.

Posted by "Shaik, Mohammad N." <mo...@accenture.com>.
Hi Chris,

I got the source files (.java) of the filter classes that I was looking for.

Should we compile the source file against the servlet jar file(s) present in "[Tomcat]\lib\" or "[Tomcat]\webapps\ApplicationName\WEB-INF\lib"? I see there are multiple JAR files in both these locations. How to locate the exact JAR file which should be used to compile source files?

www.accenture.com

________________________________

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

mohammad.n.shaik@accenture.com>:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Can I simply use the JAR files from Tomcat 7 that contains executable
code of filter classes (security headers), and put them into corresponding
location in Tomcat 6?

I would not recommend that. You might easily hit variety of class loading
problems.
Just grab the java files and compile them against Tomcat/lib.

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [External] Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.

Am 02.06.2017 um 07:43 schrieb Shaik, Mohammad N.:
> Hi Chris, > > My actual requirement was to implement 7 HTTP headers, out of which
4 are implemented in "HttpHeaderSecurityFilter". The remaining 3 headers
(Content-Security-Policy, Public-Key-Pins, X-Robots-Tag) are not
addressed in any of the filters available in Tomcat 7, 8 & 9 versions. >
> Is there any way that we implement these 3 headers in Tomcat?
Sure. Look at the implementation for the 4 headers you found. Add three
more, recompile. Alternatively, add another filter just for your 3 headers.

As you're creating a solution for you exclusively, you may even
completely hard code the values and conditions you need. There's no need
for configuration or making it "ready for prime time" as nobody else
will use this code under different circumstances.

Or write your own servlet filter for the webapps you deploy (no need to
go app-server side when the webapps do what's required themselves). In
those servlet filters, set those headers under conditions that you
determine yourself.

Or (again, sorry) utilize httpd's mod_headers.

Olaf

RE: [External] Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by "Shaik, Mohammad N." <mo...@accenture.com>.
Hi Chris,

What should be name of the new JAR file that I would create for the Filter classes?

There are multiple JAR files in lib folder. Does the name of these JAR files have any significance?

My understanding is that as long as you have your code (.class files) is present in any of the JAR files under "lib" folder, system would get it. You don’t need to have a specific-named JAR files having specific-named .class files. The .class files from all the jar files under lib folder is considered as one big collection, and based on the invoked classname its corresponding .class file gets executed from that big code. Multiple JAR files with different names is setup just for logical classification of classes. Please correct me if this is not right.

- Mohammad

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Posted by "Shaik, Mohammad N." <mo...@accenture.com>.
Hi Chris,

www.accenture.com

________________________________

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [External] Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Posted by km...@gmail.com.
Ghgfhch
Dygugjfbjg

Envoyé de mon smartphone BlackBerry 10.