Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2005/06/14 17:53:47 UTC

Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Over in Jakarta Commons, there has been some discussion over the last
couple of months about proposing the creation of a new Jakarta subproject,
tentatively named Webapp Commons. This came about as a result of proposals
to add servlet filters and other handy webapp-building widgets as Jakarta
Commons components, and the recognition that these do not really fit the
charter of Jakarta Commons.

So the idea was floated of creating a new Webapp Commons subproject that
would have just such a charter - commonly used widgets for building web
applications, including filters, listeners, and other such utility code.

What does this have to do with Jakarta Taglibs? Well, there was also a
discussion recently on the degree to which Taglibs is alive, and more
importantly, healthy. I think everyone here would agree that the community
here is not as healthy as it could be, with only a small number of taglibs
really being developed, and many languishing.

So a suggestion was made that Jakarta Taglibs could morph into a part of
the new WebApp Commons subproject. Not only would this bring it together
with other webapp-building components, but it has the potential to bring
fresh blood to Taglibs and revitalise the community.

What say you, Taglibs developers? Would this community be interested in
becoming a part of a larger Webapp Commons community, and sharing ideas
and code on more than just tag libraries?

Personally, I am very much +1 on this proposal.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> Personally, I am very much +1 on this proposal.

I'm +1 too, but I'd like to suggest that we start it "from scratch".

I mean, instead of just migrating the taglibs one-by-one, we would
create new taglibs then, following the proper procedures: TLD naming,
build structure, use of SVN, documentation, discard redundant taglibs,
etc...

-- Felipe

Re: Standard goes where? Was: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.

I suggested it too (in fact, I think you complemented my suggestion in a
reply :-)

> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

As I said in the General list, I will send a big message with many
voting proposals tomorrow...

[]s,

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > So a suggestion was made that Jakarta Taglibs could morph into a part of
> > the new WebApp Commons subproject. Not only would this bring it together
> > with other webapp-building components, but it has the potential to bring
> > fresh blood to Taglibs and revitalise the community.
>
> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.
>
> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think it would make sense for Standard to stand on its own. While I
agree to some extent with Rahul, I don't really see integration
between the Standard community and the rest of the Taglibs community.
They're really disjoint already, especially the committers. I believe
that Standard will succeed on its own, and I believe the rest of the
tag libraries here would benefit from being part of the proposed new
subproject.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/23/2005 09:20:48 PM:
<snip/>
> I just suggested on general@ that in the case of Taglibs moving to a
> web-components subproject, that I thought the Standard taglib should
> move up to being a subproject, rather than remaining inside the
> component subproject.
>
> It's quite disjunct from the other taglibs (as it's a spec
> implementation, large, and high profile), and seems that it would do
> better as its own subcommunity.
>
> Any thoughts?

I wonder if we have a silver bullet here. Standard is in a league of its
own, definitely.

I also believe the fact that Standard co-existed with the rest in Taglibs
so far has worked to everybody's benefit. I, for instance, often look at
Standard impls for reference and I believe Standard also benefits from
having more folks lurking around on the lists, some of whom have a primary
focus that is "unstandard".

I think the segregation of Standard is a logical, but slightly unfortunate
side-effect of moving to the proposed subproject (if we do).

-Rahul

Standard goes where? Was: Jakarta Taglibs as part of something bigger?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Tordini <f....@kataweb.it>.
Hi all,
I think Webapp Commons is a great idea. I'm no Apache committer but I'd be
more than happy to contribute these two little reusable components:

http://purl.org/net/flavio/xslt-servlet.html
http://purl.org/net/flavio/http-headers-filter.html

They are licensed under the Apache license 2.0 and the dependencies are from
Jakarta Commons.

Regards,
Flavio

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Martin -

Just as you mention, I've heard opinions (and more lately) about Taglibs
needing fresh blood, revitalization; something radical. As a
developer/contributor, the draw in the WebApp Commons subproject proposal
for me is more committers (instantly!), i.e. more sets of eyes to respond
to things like this [
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev&m=111765575817770&w=2 ].

In my opinion, testimonials like this one [
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111871163630760&w=2
] tend to indicate nephritic failure; and that has a way of quickly using
up the best of fresh blood. I'm sure we're looking at this not as
outsourcing the revitalization of our community, but rather a chance to be
exposed to a larger audience, and to share our passion for Taglibs with
like-minded people.

I'm happy to help with this.

-Rahul

P.S.- All, please note:
1) I don't intend the least bit of offence to anyone (I'm hoping its
obvious). Please, I urge, none be taken.
2) I understand constraints; day-time jobs, families, other engagements.
3) I want the best for the entire taglibs community (including a future
for the sandbox taglibs).
4) I have read views of multiple Jakarta committers on this topic, on
multiple related threads.