Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marc Carter <MC...@uk.ibm.com> on 2006/03/27 09:47:33 UTC

Clarification on "moving tags" (from a CVS pov)

Having read several docs, I am still uncertain of how I am supposed to
correctly amend a tagged level.  Essentially, I created a tag but some
changes were committed late to the trunk that should be included in the
tagged level.

Specifically, the following two entries do not seem to agree on the topic.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/doc/user/cvs-crossover-guide.html
<quote>
Fixing an incorrect tag.
If your tag is a bit off, you can "adjust" it just as people often do in
CVS. Simply check out a working copy of the tag directory, make any
changes you wish, and commit
</quote>

SVN book (#1337)
<quote>
Just as with branches, the only reason a copied directory is a ?tag? is
because humans have decided to
treat it that way: as long as nobody ever commits to the directory, it
forever remains a snapshot. If people start committing
to it, it becomes a branch
If a user accidentally commits a change to a tag-directory, you can simply
undo the change as discussed in the previous section.
</quote>

What I think I am supposed to do is merge the specific changeset from the
trunk into the tagged level. When users subsequently "checkout the tagged
level" they are really asking for the HEAD revision of a tagged "branch"
and it will therefore include the new updates.

Marc

Marc Carter
WebSphere MQ JMS Performance
Tel: +44 (1962) 819712
Int: 249712
Click here for Performance Harness for Java(tm) Message Service [internal
link: click here]

Re: Clarification on "moving tags" (from a CVS pov)

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.
Marc Carter <MC...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> Having read several docs, I am still uncertain of how I am supposed to
> correctly amend a tagged level.  Essentially, I created a tag but some
> changes were committed late to the trunk that should be included in the
> tagged level.

There are two things you can do:

- You can simply delete the tag, and tag the trunk again (including the new changes) with the same name.

- You can treat the tag as branch, and merge the new changes to the branch.

Phil.