Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/08/31 13:45:39 UTC

BugRat Report #55 has been filed.

Bug report #55 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/55>

REPORT #55 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.1 (Release Builds)
   JVM Release: JDK 1.2.2
   Operating System: Microsoft Windows 95
   OS Release: 4.00.950 B
   Platform: Intel, Pentium Pro(r)

Synopsis:
POSTing data from HTML form to JSP page

I have HTML page with two HTML forms for sending data (one request parameter "q_par") to JSP under Tomcat 3.1. The first HTML form has method="get" and the second has method="post".

The first form works fine. But after press the button SUBMIT for the second form Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 works and works and after some 5 minutes it finishes with timeout error (and the JSP page does not display). Under Netscape Navigator work both my forms (with GET and POST) correctly!

But I think, it is not an bug at MSIE 5, but an bug at Tomcat 3.1! Why? The problem may be caused at processing of HTTP headers at Tomcat 3.1 (and the order of HTTP header from Web browser are for both Web browser different):

1) MSIE 5 sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as the one before last (that is before parameter q_par).

2) Netscape sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as last one HTTP header.

3) The Specification at RFC 2068 does not speak about the order of HTTP headers!