Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Joan K. Drejer (AH/LMD)" <jo...@ericsson.com> on 2005/12/01 12:24:10 UTC

jasper encryption and patents

Hi

At Ericsson we are considering using Jasper-runtime and Jasper-compile
in a commercial product.

However, we would like to know if the product contains encryption, and
if you possibly know about which ECCN (Export code) to put on it?
Also, do you know if there are any patents which we should be aware of?

Regards;
Joan Drejer

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in
error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and
delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data
corruption,interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses,
and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable
for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses
or any consequences thereof.

Re: jasper encryption and patents

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/05, Joan K. Drejer (AH/LMD) <jo...@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> At Ericsson we are considering using Jasper-runtime and Jasper-compile
> in a commercial product.
>
> However, we would like to know if the product contains encryption, and
> if you possibly know about which ECCN (Export code) to put on it?

Jasper does not contain any encryption.

> Also, do you know if there are any patents which we should be aware of?

We have not researched patents which might apply to Jasper.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Tim Funk" <fu...@joedog.org> wrote in message
> Jasper does not contain any encryption code which would violate any
> commercial export laws. There are no IP patent suits against tomcat at the
> moment. If this were to happen - we would have the assistance of the
> solicitors for the ASF guide us in a best course of action for resolution.

It's actually true more generally:  None of the Tomcat libraries contain any
encryption code.  The Java SSL Connector and the Digest authentication uses
whatever it finds installed in the JVM.  The APR SSL Connector uses whatever
it finds in OpenSSL.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.