Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu> on 2012/11/23 21:38:35 UTC

SPAN queries in solr

What is the best way to use span queries in solr ?

I see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-839 which enables the XML
Query parser that supports span queries.

--
Anirudha P. Jadhav

Re: SPAN queries in solr

Posted by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu>.
thanks Erik. Nested Queries help.
I'll keep working on the XML Query parser on the side.

-Ani

--
Anirudha P. Jadhav

Re: SPAN queries in solr

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
It'll be impossible to have one query parser that can do it all.  Making it possible to combine queries parsed/interpreted in different ways is the way to go.

Please note that you can mix-and-match query parsers already.  So if surround works for part of your query, but you also need ranges, consider using a "nested query":

   q=_query_:"{!surround}surround expression" AND field:[from TO to]

or split the range off into an fq if that is more appropriate.

I agree that the XML Query Parser has some really nice potential, but as it is the patch there (that I contributed) is crude and not "Solrized" (not schema aware, etc), so it will be reworked before being something we'll commit to Solr proper.

	Erik

Re: SPAN queries in solr

Posted by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@gmail.com>.

--