Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Heligon Sandra <Sa...@nextream.fr> on 2002/07/31 14:54:06 UTC

Help Apache2.0 with Tomcat4 (mod_jk or mod_jk2 or mod_webapp ?)

	Hi,

	I am working on a web application.
	I used the default Tomcat4.0.4 configuration until now.
	(standalone mode execution).
	I would like to use Apache and Tomcat together but I don't
	understand what I must do.
	The configuration is very hard, there are a lot of elements
	httpd.conf, server.xml, mod_jk.dll or mod_jk2.dll or
mod_webapp.dll...
	I don't know what module I must use ?

	My environment is the following:
	- Windows 2000
	- Tomcat4.0.4 (I believe that the new version 4.1 is better with JSP
but it implies
	new configuration yet)
	- Apache2.0.39 (it's the last stable version, I believe)

	I don't know the new features of mod_jk2 vs mod_jk vs mod_webapp.
	Do I have to create a <context> element for each web application
with mod_jk
	or can each application deploy automatically ?

	If I want to use mod_jk2, how can I get the mod_jk.dll associated to
Tomcat4.0.4
	and Apache2.0.39 ?

	I read that it is possible to enable Apache -Tomcat automatically
with include
	the file mod_jk.conf-auto in the httpd.conf.
	How is the mod_jk.conf-auto file generated ?

	Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Help Apache2.0 with Tomcat4 (mod_jk or mod_jk2 or mod_webapp ?)

Posted by "Nikolas A. Rathert" <ni...@igd.fhg.de>.
Hi, see below your questions, please

Heligon Sandra wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	I am working on a web application.
> 	I used the default Tomcat4.0.4 configuration until now.
> 	(standalone mode execution).
> 	I would like to use Apache and Tomcat together but I don't
> 	understand what I must do.
> 	The configuration is very hard, there are a lot of elements
> 	httpd.conf, server.xml, mod_jk.dll or mod_jk2.dll or
> mod_webapp.dll...
> 	I don't know what module I must use ?
>
> 	My environment is the following:
> 	- Windows 2000
> 	- Tomcat4.0.4 (I believe that the new version 4.1 is better with JSP
> but it implies
> 	new configuration yet)
> 	- Apache2.0.39 (it's the last stable version, I believe)
>
> 	I don't know the new features of mod_jk2 vs mod_jk vs mod_webapp.

I think you are forced to use Windoze as I am. I recommend to use LINUX
if possible. So, then forget mod_webapp as this module is more than
unstable. Take mod_jk2. This you should get here:

http://www.acg-gmbh.de/mod_jk/

> 	Do I have to create a <context> element for each web application
> with mod_jk
> 	or can each application deploy automatically ?

There are different ways of deploying webapps. Take a look here:

http://www.galatea.com/flashguides

> 	If I want to use mod_jk2, how can I get the mod_jk.dll associated to
> Tomcat4.0.4
> 	and Apache2.0.39 ?

see galatea.com

> 	I read that it is possible to enable Apache -Tomcat automatically
> with include
> 	the file mod_jk.conf-auto in the httpd.conf.
> 	How is the mod_jk.conf-auto file generated ?
>
> 	Thanks a lot in advance.

as stated above: see galatea.com
My tutorial is not fixed.

Cheers,