Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/02 15:30:21 UTC

[DISCUSSION] License Headers on Artemis/package-info.java

We have our package-info.java with a license header basically. Instead
of showing a nice statement about what the package is meant for, this
is translating as "Licensed to Apache" on every package that has a
package-info.java

http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/javadocs/javadoc-1.0.0/index.html

The only exception was Filters that used the html old version for the package.

Can we stop adding License Headers on package-info.java and instead
have a better documentation about what the package is meant for? that
way the javadoc would translate better.

Or does anyone know a syntax that would allow us to have a license
header and still a meaninful doc about the package?

Thanks

Re: [DISCUSSION] License Headers on Artemis/package-info.java

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Yeah.. that works..

even if I still had it regularly it would still work. Compiled with
the following (at the end of this message) and it worked.

I think we should either kill the package-info.java packages, or fill
them properly with information. I will raise a JIRA so we won't forget
this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-129

/**
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

/**
 * This is just a test
 */

--
Clebert Suconic
http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@jboss.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] License Headers on Artemis/package-info.java

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
> With regards to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-129 , it would be nice to not kill the package-info.java but instead pack it with useful information.

Sure, but I don't want document the obvious.

If a package is called util, I would rather kill the doc instead of
saying "This contains utility classes"... duh!!!

Re: [DISCUSSION] License Headers on Artemis/package-info.java

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Nice one :)

Posted by Thiago Kronig <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
I noticed that many java files in ActiveMQ have the license header as a javadoc but the HTML page does not show the license header. Example -

/**
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */
package org.apache.activemq.broker.region.cursors;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Iterator;
import java.util.LinkedList;
import java.util.List;
import org.apache.activemq.broker.ConnectionContext;
import org.apache.activemq.broker.region.Destination;
import org.apache.activemq.broker.region.MessageReference;
import org.apache.activemq.broker.region.QueueMessageReference;

/**
 * hold pending messages in a linked list (messages awaiting disptach to a
 * consumer) cursor
 *
 *
 */
public class VMPendingMessageCursor extends AbstractPendingMessageCursor {.......

But this HTML does not show the license - http://activemq.apache.org/maven/5.11.0/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/broker/region/cursors/VMPendingMessageCursor.html

With regards to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-129 , it would be nice to not kill the package-info.java but instead pack it with useful information.

Thanks,
Ganesh.

Yes thats what I do on all .java files, I'm not actually sure why we
would put the header as a Javadoc. We dont particularly want it to
show up visibly on the resulting documentation (and it isnt strictly
required on generated files, only their source), and there isnt
anything in there which we would need/want the javadoc parser to look
at, so using comments seem more appropriate.

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Mesnil <jm...@gmail.com>.

--