Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/09 21:58:31 UTC

Re: Application framework technology set

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Andrew Zeneski <an...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
> When we started OFBiz in 2001, the tools available were
> less powerful and less appealing than the ones available
> today. If we were starting today I think a lot would be
> different. For example, I would probably vote for JPA over
> writing another persistence layer. I would vote for using
> Stripes, Wicket, or maybe JSF (but v2) for presentation. On
> the service layer, I would prefer to use an existing
> framework be it EJB (session beans) or some flavor of an ESB
> (maybe ServiceMix). In the end, focus 100% on the
> applications and let the other projects focus on each
> specific framework piece.

I spent a little time looking at ServiceMix. It seems to duplicate a lot of the OFBiz infrastructure - which may be good or bad. It has its own application server container and persistence engine. Maybe we could create our own ESB based on whatever persistence layer OFBiz uses (Entity Engine or some future existing library) and JBI.

I really like the idea of OFBiz implementing ESB - an OFBiz user could easily plug in additional ESB applications.

-Adrian

Re: Application framework technology set

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1, yes it would be nice to have this discussion and wider community
participation.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.