Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Mitch Gitman <mg...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/02 06:00:02 UTC

Re: Ivy Settings Conditionally Use an Environment Variable?

For this life of me, I can't find this in the Ivy documentation,
but--assuming you're using Ant and the ivy:settings Ant task--Ivy will
consume all the containing Ant Project's properties as Ivy variables, as
needed.

So what you could do is define just the following in your ivysettings.xml:
<property name="ivy.repos.server" value="http://ivy:8081" override="false"
/>

Then you place your condition in the Ant script:
<condition property="ivy.repos.server" value="${env.IVY_SERVER}">
    <isset property="env.IVY_SERVER"/>
  </condition>

Better yet, put everything in the Ant script.

Beyond that, you could take advantage of the immutability of Ant properties
and just define the following in Ant:
<property name="env.IVY_SERVER" value="http://ivy:8081" />

This line will be your fallback if the environment variable IVY_SERVER is
not defined. Then consume env.IVY_SERVER in your ivysettings.xml. There's
something funky though about consuming an environment variable directly
like this. There are more elegant mechanisms than environment variables for
non-bootstrappy user-varying content.

Another, not necessarily elegant technique I've seen is to use special
marker variables to import different nested Ivy settings into your main Ivy
setting using the include element. So you might do:
<include file="ivysettings-${environment}.xml"

Then you can define different Ivy resolvers/repositories with the same name
but which potentially use vastly different configurations.

Posted by Mitch Gitman <mg...@gmail.com>.
Nicolas is reminding me of some context I left out of my original answer.
Certainly, Ivy settings should be reusable in IvyDE or the equivalent
plugins for other IDEs. Certainly, Ivy settings should be able to stand on
their own independent of "the build."

For this, I've found that it's best to extract these properties into
properties files that can be commonly used between the build and the IDE.
See Ivy->Settings under IvyDE preferences. I think maybe my greatest
reticence about putting property definitions in Ivy settings XML is that
inevitably you find this pure configuration being scattered about and
becoming difficult to maintain. Better to put it in common files that can
be pulled in selectively depending on environment and reused.

As with so many of these things, I'm expressing a preference, not a mandate.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Eyad Ebrahim <ty...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Eyad Ebrahim <ty...@gmail.com>.