Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Alexander Weinmann <Al...@abaxx.de> on 2001/04/17 20:22:44 UTC

Cocoon at work

Hello Cocooners,

I am a lurker to this list since more than a year, and almost every
week I install the newest C2 from CVS on my machine.  I do
like your work very much: it fits so well in what I  need
in my daily programming business. It fits well into
what VERY MANY PEOPLE need!! Since a long time I would
like to contribute and help "release" C2 sooner.

Unfortunately, my job as a programmer will never give
me enough  time to get into coding Cocoon. I think this
is the same for many other enthusiastic guys out there.

Consider the wide-spread use of JSP out there, and you sure
cannot under-estimate how many companies could profit from a
ready to run C2 - which offers so much more than plain JSP!

Now my question is: Where are the "cocoon-friendly" companies
and institutions?

In my eyes C2 is a  "killer application" (also for E-Business ...),
and the only reason why it is not yet finished, is because
thousands of willing programmers have to earn their daily living
by contributing to thousands of proprietary frameworks based on proprietary
architectures
like JSP,asp and all the rest. (Me for example!)

I do think their could be dozens of new (good) C2  contributors
(not only for coding, but for docs,design everything), if there
were some sort of "economical support" to this project ( - and other
projects)

Please forgive me, if you consider this off topic! I
do not want you to discuss soemthing that you do not want to discuss!

I know that this question is "political" or even "philosophical",
and it is relevant to  open source in general. But I also think
it is PARTICULARLY relevant  to Cocoon:
Cocoon COULD have an enourmeous "economical value", if it
became as popular and wide-spread as it is worthwhile, and
EVERYBODY could profit even more of it.

abaXX
TECHNOLOGY AG
Alexander Weinmann
Development Engineer Training

[Address] Forststrasse 7,
70174 Stuttgart,
Germany
[Phone] +49-(711)-61-41-6 - 1541
[Fax] +49-(711)-61-41-6 - 1111
[E-mail] <<m...@abaxx.de>>
[Internet] http://www.abaXX.com <http://www.abaxx.com/>

Re: Cocoon at work

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Alexander Weinmann wrote:

(...)
> In my eyes C2 is a  "killer application" (also for E-Business ...),
> and the only reason why it is not yet finished, is because
> thousands of willing programmers have to earn their daily living
> by contributing to thousands of proprietary frameworks based on proprietary
> architectures
> like JSP,asp and all the rest. (Me for example!)
>
> I do think their could be dozens of new (good) C2  contributors
> (not only for coding, but for docs,design everything), if there
> were some sort of "economical support" to this project ( - and other
> projects)

I found particularly intriguing this news item:

http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1170

specifically this comment:

"A new object, MXHTMLWriter, allows you to output HTML using a stream of
SAX events, much in the same way that the xsl:output  element in XSLT
can generate HTML from a result tree. The new MXHTMLWriter object
provides necessary support for high-performing Active Server Pages
(ASP), which read XML documents with a SAX reader, put those documents
through custom SAX filters, and output the data to the user as an HTML
page."

It points to Microsoft pushing a serving technology essentially
identical to what C2 is delivering today (at least that is what the
marketing-speak seems to imply).

Obviously, it is a much simpler approach (a chain of filegenerator, one
or more stylesheets, and the final serializer).

> Please forgive me, if you consider this off topic! I
> do not want you to discuss soemthing that you do not want to discuss!

Ditto.

> I know that this question is "political" or even "philosophical",
> and it is relevant to  open source in general. But I also think
> it is PARTICULARLY relevant  to Cocoon:
> Cocoon COULD have an enourmeous "economical value", if it
> became as popular and wide-spread as it is worthwhile, and
> EVERYBODY could profit even more of it.

It will have

AW: Cocoon at work [Sorry]

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
Sorry List this was not meant for all.........

[goes to grab some coffee and hopefully wake up]

Again - sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Matthew

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

AW: Cocoon at work

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
Hallo Alexander,

Now my question is: Where are the "cocoon-friendly" companies
and institutions?
<<
Wir zählen uns schon seit 1 Jahr als "cocoon-friendly" company. Wir (mein
Kollege Carsten Ziegeler) arbeiten auf der einen Seite im Cocoon-Projekt
mit. Zudem versuchen wir für Cocoon mehr "Öffentlichkeit" zu gewinnen -
indem wir z.B auf Messen und Kongresse diese Themen anhand von Vorträgen
etc. vorantreiben.

Auf der anderen Seite haben wir ein kommerzielles Produkt auf der Basis von
Cocoon entwickelt. "sunShine" erweitert Cocoon um Funktionen und Komponenten
für Installation, Authentisierung, Portal, CMS, Konfigurationstools etc.
Dieses Produkt bieten wir derzeit unseren Kunden an (und suchen hierfür auch
Partner).

Unsere Erfahrungen sind sehr positiv und die Akzeptanz für
Cocoon-Technologien ist sehr groß. Wir müssen nun daran arbeiten noch mehr
Bewußtsein für das Thema Cocoon zu erreichen.

Schau einfach mal:

http://sunshine.sundn.de

an.

Anmelden mit "abaxx" / "abaxx"

Wie gesagt - falls sunShine für Euch interessant wäre - würde ich nach
Stuttgart kommen und Euch eine Presentation geben können.

MfG

Matthew Langham
Leiter Open Source Competence Center / sunShine