Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Randolph Kahle <ra...@variantia.net> on 2004/10/14 19:07:52 UTC

Operational difference between AbstractComponent and BaseComponent

I have a simple renderComponent method:

<<<<<

package net;

import org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent;
import org.apache.tapestry.IMarkupWriter;
import org.apache.tapestry.IRequestCycle;

public class Emphasis
         extends AbstractComponent
	{

	protected void renderComponent( IMarkupWriter writer, IRequestCycle
cycle )
		{
		writer.begin( "em" );
		renderBody( writer, cycle );
		writer.end();
		}
	}

If I extend AbstractComponent, the component works as I expect. If I
extend BaseComponent, I get the following error:

<<<<<

Could not find template for component Home/$VariantiaBorder.$Emphasis
in locale en.

What is the operational difference between the two superclasses? Why am
I getting this error?

Regards,

Randy

Re: Operational difference between AbstractComponent and BaseComponent

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
AbstractComponent is the class to extend when you want to
programatically render the output.
BaseComponent is the class to extend when you are using an HTML
template for rendering.

	Erik