Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu> on 2017/04/07 20:46:31 UTC

Configuring Airavata logging

Dev,

I found out today that the log4j.properties we provide in the bin/ directory of the distribution isn’t used and doesn’t actually configure logging.  I think this should be fixed.

The problem is a little complicated. I put together what I found in issue AIRAVATA-2363 [1].

Mostly it boils down to there being multiple slf4j bindings and we need to decide which binding we want to use.  See the issue for more information.

I’ll propose we use logback as the runtime logging library and instead of putting a log4j.properties in the bin/ directory, we put a logback.xml file in the bin/ directory, so that users can configure logging.  Logback is needed for the Kafka integration, so it seems like a natural choice.

Are there any problems with doing that?

Thanks,

Marcus

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-2363