Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/10/30 20:48:03 UTC

[VOTE RESULT] James Server future releases/road maps

Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> This vote will expire in 5 days from now (30/10/2006 20:10 CET).
 >
> "next-minor":
> - based on 2.3.0
> - storage and config.xml compatibile with 2.3.0
> - selective choice of what to backport from trunk.
> - ETA: branch on Nov/Dec 2006, release on Dec/Jan 2007
> [ ] +1 I will work on that release
> [ ]  0 Indifferent (+0 and -0 are welcome to understand the feelings)
> [ ] -1 I think James project doesn't need a similar release

+1
none

+/- 0
Stefano Bagnara (binding)
Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini (binding)
Guillermo Grandes
Norman Maurer (binding)
Danny Angus (binding)
Bernd Fondermann (binding)

-1
none

> "next-major":
> - based on current trunk
> - storage and config.xml compatible with 2.3.0
> - ETA: branch on Dec 2006/Jan 2007, release on Mar 2007
> [ ] +1 I will work on that release
> [ ]  0 Indifferent (+0 and -0 are welcome to understand the feelings)
> [ ] -1 I think James project doesn't need a similar release

+1
Stefano Bagnara (binding)
Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini (binding)
Guillermo Grandes
Norman Maurer (binding)
Danny Angus (binding)
Bernd Fondermann (binding)

+/- 0
none

-1
none

So it seems everyone agreed: no one want to work on the next-minor but
no one is against it and everyone want to work directly on next-major.

Now that we confirmed this, I think we should avoid committing to trunk
anything that we already know we're not going to include in next-major
(repository refactoring, dsn and other non backward compatible changes)
until we don't branch (this will simplify the workflow).

I'll update JIRA to reflect the existence of a "next-major" release and
move there what I guess will finish in next-major, then I'll start a
thread to discuss some more detail about next-major.

Stefano

Re: [VOTE RESULT] James Server future releases/road maps

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll update JIRA to reflect the existence of a "next-major" release and
>> move there what I guess will finish in next-major, then I'll start a
>> thread to discuss some more detail about next-major.
>
> Can you do me a favour, and update STATUS file (in trunk) it should
> take two minutes to add the release numbers and the vote result. Pls?
>
> d.

Sorry, no svn access now, maybe tomorrow!

Anyone know if exists something like a web editor for files in svn? This
way I could work on STATUS and similar files in svn much more easily...

Btw, what exactly do you expect me to write there?
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/STATUS

----
Votes:
	Open:
	bago [VOTE] James Server future releases/road maps

	Resolved:
----

----
Votes:
	Open:

	Resolved:
	bago [VOTE] James Server future releases/road maps
           unanimous +1 to the "next-major" effort. Noel expressed low
           confidence on next-major and keep thinking that a next-minor
           make good sense. No -1 has been casted for next-minor, so we
           will proceed with more details on both releases.
           Bago said he will propose some more detail on next-major soon,
           maybe Noel will do the same for next-minor.
----

Please help me with this STATUS file thing: I've not understood exactly
how we should use it.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> So it seems everyone agreed: no one want to work on the next-minor but
>> no one is against it and everyone want to work directly on next-major.
>
> Actually, no.  I was working from 7AM until 11PM for the past week, and
> didn't have time to deal with this, since I've already indicated that there
> are some changes to include in a minor update.  And considering my
> confidence in next-major, having a minor update ready makes good sense.

Sorry Noel. Please, the next time, write something when you know you
won't be able to reply for 5 days. I already made this longer than
previous votes (5 days) and I wrote the expiration date/hour in the vote.

I saw you replied to other topics so I thought you was aware of this but
didn't care replying, sorry.

Btw this is easy to solve: if you still believe you can do something
good for next-minor you're free to do a proposal and proceed as no one
vetoed the next-minor: as you are the only with a +1 you'll be alone and
it will be more easy to find an agreement with yourself about the
roadmap ;-)

Please vote anyway when you find the time, even if I wrote the result
we're all interested in your vote. (In my mind I considered your vote a
+1 to next-minor and +0 to next-major)

>> Now that we confirmed this, I think we should avoid committing to trunk
>> anything that we already know we're not going to include in next-major
>> (repository refactoring, dsn and other non backward compatible changes)
>> until we don't branch (this will simplify the workflow).
>
> I'm laughing, since you were so upset when we tried to get you to do this
> the last time we tried to prepare a release.  But at the same time, I find
> your statement very reassuring, since it seems that you are understanding,
> now, what it takes to start planning for a release.  This is excellent news.
>
> 	--- Noel

This time is different because we are many active developers. Last time
this happened I was the ONLY one active developer. So there was no plan
but what I was doing. And there was really no need to stop commits in
trunk: the problem is that there was not a roadmap but what I had in my
mind. This time I'm trying to coordinate a roadmap because I see I'm not
alone. So, not a news on my behaviour: the scenario has, fortunately,
changed :-)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.