Posted to dev@shardingsphere.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2019/01/29 22:23:49 UTC

Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases

Hi,

Looking at [1] there seems to have been releases made after you have entered incubation. All releases must be approved by the PPMC and the IPMC (usually by voting). Can you please remove these releases and include in your upcoming incubator report what you will do to stop this happening going forward.

Thanks,
Justin

P.S please CC me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to this list

1.https://github.com/apache/incubator-shardingsphere/releases

Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi

I think I agree the Justin's points.
No matter the release happens in Apache org repo or not, it still happened after you asked and accepted by Incubator. So, it is not encouraged and not following the Apache way.

I propose these adjustments
1. Add statement in GitHub release versions. Saying these are not Apache release.
2. Add statement in you website home, document and download pages, saying all available releases are not Apache releases
3. After the first approved release, you only says before this version(4.0.0 maybe) are not Apachre releases.
4. Add statement in GitHub project readme.md for the same thing.

Especially for document pages, this needs to be tagged in clear way.
I know, those releases in maven central repo are hard to release, and not good for the existing community. So, I hope my proposals are good enough.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: zhangliang@apache.org <zh...@apache.org>
Date: Wed,Jan 30,2019 0:03 PM
To: dev <de...@shardingsphere.apache.org>
Cc: Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>, jmclean <jm...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases

Hello Justin,

Thanks for your advice.
This is a legacy release, which we have discussed on the dev mail list[1]
before.
This release is done before the transfer to ASF repo and package rename.
We are now preparing apache release which begins with new version(4.0.0).
We will not release non-Apache version any more in the future.
Any suggestion to identify versions like these kind of releases?

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a3bba7e53bfed6d18924b592ecf0533aebc8d307f8c7e399a7fec2cf@%3Cdev.shardingsphere.apache.org%3E

------------------

Liang Zhang (John)
Apache ShardingSphere & Dubbo

Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> 于2019年1月30日周三 上午6:23写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin

Thanks for the clarification.

The release of shardingsphere 3.0.0M1 and 3.0.0 were just before the
shardingsphere code move to Apache. There are some discussion about it
in the Infra JIRA[1].
It may be a gray area for the project to the release outside of apache
after the incubation vote and before the code transfer.
As these releases are not Apache approved releases, my suggestion is
we should mention it in the website and github release page.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Gosling Von <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

With my mentor hat on shardingsphere, I've been following up the community activities. I think the release that we discussed is a same case like other podling project. Image that we didn't want to affect my previous users, we will work on the old version outside of Apache with the original package names, and work on the next step to rename and follow the apache way to release.

Also, I prefer the first committer invitation, the first release, any first community behavior must be approved by 3 +1 mentor votes. I think it will help the community better understand apache best practice when we building the community.

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

This is probably more clear spelt out here. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#unreleased

Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> This is a legacy release, which we have discussed on the dev mail list[1] before.
> This release is done before the transfer to ASF repo and package rename.

I can see you were accepted into the incubator on 10th Nov 2018  but I see the 3.1 release being made 27 days ago and  3.1.0.M1 made on 20 Dec 2018. Both of these releases are after you have entered the incubator.

> We are now preparing apache release which begins with new version(4.0.0). We will not release non-Apache version any more in the future.

You cannot release any unapproved releases while in incubation, all releases made while under incubation need to be approved by the PPMC and the IPMC (usually by voting). I suggest that you remove these releases.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
> 1. Add statement in GitHub release versions. Saying these are not Apache
release.

Done. The URL is [1]

> 2. Add statement in you website home, document and download pages, saying
all available releases are not Apache releases

Done. The URL is [2], both for English and Chinese pages.

> 3. After the first approved release, you only says before this
version(4.0.0 maybe) are not Apachre releases.

Will do it after Apache release finish.

> 4. Add statement in GitHub project readme.md for the same thing.

Done. The URL is [3], both for English and Chinese readme.md.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shardingsphere/releases/tag/3.1.0
[2] http://shardingsphere.apache.org/
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shardingsphere/blob/dev/README.md

吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> 于2019年1月30日周三 下午5:58写道: